Bankruptcy and triggering an Income Payment Order

gone2018

Does anybody know what amount of earnings during the bankruptcy process would trigger an income payment order effectively extending the process from 1 year to 3 years?

I am looking to go bankrupt and emigrate to Canada but there is one catch - the bankruptcy process must not last longer than one year or I will lose the opportunity to emigrate (it's a points based immigration system in Canada and I must avail of it within 1 year approx or I will be too old and inadmissible).

I would like to work (rather than sitting on the dole) during the bankruptcy and so am wondering if anybody knows what sort of weekly earnings would trigger an Income Payment Order (IPA) scuppering my plan.
I'm looking to drive a forklift in a warehouse but if it triggers an IPA then I would be better off sitting it out on the dole obviously.

Lol no but I've a feeling they will at some stage unless I address the issue. I mean they have a few years to serve me with a judgement (which can be done with or without me being in the country and with or without an address for me if I'm understanding right) and then that judgement can run for another 12 years after that so I'm going to try and sort it out so I can come back some day and not be worrying about prison.

Any earnings above Reasonable Living Expenses will trigger an IPO. If you go to the Insolvency Service of Ireland web site you should be able to calculate what your RLE's would be.

I am not an expert on Immigration legislation but some countries might have issues with a recent bankrupt applying for a visa etc.

You should really consider doing a PIA or DSA before going down the bankruptcy route.

Jim Stafford

Any earnings above Reasonable Living Expenses will trigger an IPO. If you go to the Insolvency Service of Ireland web site you should be able to calculate what your RLE's would be.

I am not an expert on Immigration legislation but some countries might have issues with a recent bankrupt applying for a visa etc.

You should really consider doing a PIA or DSA before going down the bankruptcy route.

Jim Stafford

Thanks for the reply Jim.

As far as I can tell bankruptcy will not affect my visa application in Canada.

With regard to the choice between bankruptcy/PIA/DSA I feel like my hands are tied into choosing whichever method has the potential to be completed within 16 months approx as after that time period my visa application will be inadmissible.

Back