Banking Scams and Spams Guide

Romulan

Romulan has no specific knowledge of the BOI related events but has some experience in the area.

This is what happened

A BOI customer received a text, supposedly from BOI, followed the link and entered their account details including login and password.

These allegations of what happened are incorrect

The texts came from Bank of Ireland…………No but they can be made to appear if they did in much the same way in emails.
The identity of the sender is spoofed in some way.

Try call back the number “BOI” above and it will look wrong.
“264” in this example.

Bank of Ireland systems were compromised by hackers…………No, It’s important to note that while they try to look as if they come from a reputable company, they do not, and it is highly unlikely that the IT systems of the reputable company have been compromised.

That said, there are occasions when data breaches occur, and data is obtained by the scammers and spammers.
This may allow a more targeted scam and spam attempt where they know something about you.

What BoI did wrong

I’ve yet to see an incident or problem that has not been made worse by poor communications.

BOI should have the means of detecting these events and protocols for responding.

Recognise the change from normal patterns of customer behaviour, tighten restrictions on systems where possible and communicate the issue immediately across all channels; radio, social media etc.

What the customers did wrong

They made a mistake, unfortunate to be sure.

If you look at the sample text, it’s not a bad effort but really, you should know the correct URL (address) of BOI online if you use it.
https://www.365online.com in this case.

If I had to pick one behaviour to change, I’d suggest don’t click on links in emails and texts without being very suspicious.

Don’t be hard on yourself afterwards, it happens and even Romulans get caught out on rare occasions.

What BoI could do to eliminate or reduce this happening again

A full report on the incident, analyse and learn the lessons.
Implement the changes required but know that it will happen again at some point.

Spammers and scammers will move on to other institutions and then return in due course.

BOI and other institutions do regularly flag this risk to customers

The problem is that you hear the warning so many times, you eventually cease to pay any attention to it.

What customers could do & Lessons to be learnt by customers

Spam texts are like spam emails, they want to pretend they are legitimate and come from a reputable company or organisation known to you.

Some are very poor and obvious, bad grammar and spelling mistakes everywhere.

Others try too hard and are easy to spot, the language for example may be very formal and excessive.

Then you get the ones in the middle, sometimes difficult to spot and especially when you start with a confirmation bias.

• You normally deal with, say PAYPAL, so contact from them is not surprising
  • You are expecting a parcel from say, DPD, and suddenly an email arrives requesting a redelivery charge
  • Your bank is, say BOI, and they have your mobile on record and you receive a text

It’s not the scammers and spammers necessarily know anything about you, it’s a pure numbers game.

Send enough texts or emails and some are bound to generate a result.

What can you do to counter these scams and spams, be they email or text?

Well, start learning some good habits;

• Never click on a URL link in an email or text. You should either know them or have them saved in your browser favourites
  • Emails that do not address you by name are high risk, think about it, Paypal should know your name
  • Use your cursor to hover over a FROM email address or URL link if possible, take a look at what the underlying link is and not what is displayed
  • The IE domain is a managed domain so emails and links with a .IE in them are more trustworthy than those with a .COM as a general rule
  • Do not ring any number listed in the email or text. Double check the number elsewhere and then ring if necessary
  • Have the emergency numbers for cancelling cards to hand or better still, know how to cancel then from the relevant APP..............If in doubt, cancel immediately, don’t hesitate. It’s a pain, but you can get another card relatively quickly.
Finally, watch for emails or texts that generate a sense of urgency for you.

The scammers and spammers rely on a natural psychological need to DO SOMETHING.

It’s hard to learn, but DO NOTHING YET is a valid response.

Thanks this is very instructive. One thing I don't understand is how the scammers actually manage to take money out of an account once they have the login details. Doesn't every bank text a code to customers who add a new recipient to confirm it's from them? How do scammers get around this if they don't have your mobile phone?

It's a good question.

Lets assume that the scammers have your login and password at this stage.

2 Factor Authentication or 2FA links your phone or an app to the account so you have to confirm.

I am not a BOI customer so I don't know if it is available for all customers.
And are they forced to activate it.

The question is what is the next step for the scammers?

They transfer money?
They have a terminal and put through transactions?
They buy stuff on a website somewhere - I did once receive a call from my bank inquiring whether I was purchasing from an Indian online site.

I'd like to hear more on this.

* The thought occurs, if the scammer is logged in to the account online, can they change the mobile used for the 2FA?
The 2FA request goes out to the new mobile and is naturally passed.

** The scammers may have already got a PIN code as part of the scam process.

Last edited:
It's a good question.

Lets assume that the scammers have your login and password at this stage.

2 Factor Authentication or 2FA links your phone or an app to the account so you have to confirm.

I am not a BOI customer so I don't know if it is available for all customers.
And are they forced to activate it.

The question is what is the next step for the scammers?

They transfer money?
They have a terminal and put through transactions?
They buy stuff on a website somewhere - I did once receive a call from my bank inquiring whether I was purchasing from an Indian online site.

I'd like to hear more on this.

* The thought occurs, if the scammer is logged in to the account online, can they change the mobile used for the 2FA?
The 2FA request goes out to the new mobile and is naturally passed.

** The scammers may have already got a PIN code as part of the scam process.

Or they do an SMS intercept. They know the target mobile number already. They know an SMS message is due.

Or some form of SIM swapping.

Both would need a bit of effort and possibly a second hack. But you know you are part way there with the bank login credentials

BOI should have the means of detecting these events and protocols for responding.

How? The SMS was sent through the mobile phone network to your phone. BOI's systems don't know anything about external events.

If anyone it should be the mobile phone companies who should be identifying these texts and blocking them. Cut them off at the source.

Hi Páid

Agreed that BoI can't directly detect it.

But could they identify unusual patterns of transactions in an account and stop them?

Brendan

I know the IP addresses can be spoofed also but shouldn't the bank have a warning system in place if a login to an account is attempted from a IP address that has not been used on that account before. Additional information should be needed in that scenario.

Last edited:
If SMS messages can be intercepted maybe banks should send confirmation codes via email instead. Recently did an external transfer with Revolut and that's what they did.

If SMS messages can be intercepted maybe banks should send confirmation codes via email instead. Recently did an external transfer with Revolut and that's what they did.

Email isn't any better.

I think what you'll see banks / tech companies move to is app notifications to phones - or an external second factor code generator app like Google Authenticator or separate hardware like Yubikey

I was referring to the banks ability to spot changes in customer behaviour patterns.
It used to be done with credit cards.

Part of the problem is the many and varied ways that debit cards are now being used.

The Telcos need to be held to account for allowing dodgy phone calls for starters.

The Telcos need to be held to account for allowing dodgy phone calls for starters.

My response to the amazon prime scams thread, above, addresses some of issues relevant to this excellent thread based on @Romulan's 1st post above.

I have a list of blocked and attempted scam numbers in my phone, everything from "amazon" to "microsoft technical PC windows support" generated over the years. If other people have a similar list, could we include them all in a post here for others to populate their black-list of phone numbers with? This could act as a first line of defence for users wishing to reduce the nuisance / scam calls and maybe offer the telcos a starting point for building a defence system, like an IP address firewall on a server. If the telcos say no, we can still look after ourselves, hopefully.

If the admins agree, I'll start work immediately as soon as people PM me with a list of their blocked numbers (blocked from scammers, not just a list of ex-partners' phones!!!) and post the finished product here with instructions.

If not, forget I spoke.

Last edited:
Don't forget, if you just want to protect yourself from direct marketers' calls, you have the option of following the instructions [broken link removed] from COMREG. I know, I know COMREG, but it is an option. Unless of the course the 3rd party that operates their data-base gets hacked, releasing all the numbers to hackers and marketeers alike. Hacked, what's all that about?

Last edited:
Back