Banking mistake, they want me to pay?

• Thread starter lurkernomore
  • Start date
L

lurkernomore

what is the forums view on this, i plan on going back in and demanding to see management

i lost my bankcard last saturday evening, rang on sunday evening to cancel my card and they said, fine, you'll recieve your new card in 7 days

2 days ago i recieve a letter saying my account is overdrawn so yesterday i call into the bank to discover that they havent cancelled my card and my account has been drained of £3600...£3200 on which was taken out on tuesday (how that is even possible i do not know)

the bank has sent off a dispute form which i will recieve and have to fill out in the next 10 days then they will investigate the issue (6-10weeks so i hear)

i am clearly without this money for all this time, but surely as it was the banks mistake not to cancel the card when i requested them too, and to allow £3200 to be withdrawn on the one day, they are in the wrong and i should not be left in the lurch....

anyone have a similar view, should i just demand to speak to the manager until it is resolved on the spot

how was the money withdrawn?

was a PIN used to access the account in a branch or an ATM?

i never withdraw money in a branch so can't remember, but i thought the PIN had to be used for all transcations?

yes it would appear whoever got my card somehow got my pin aswell, the money was withdrawn at a tesco, then a different ATM (i think), but was also used for purchasing in mcdonalds and sainsburys...

my point with the bank is, i cancelled the card so anything after that point is surely there mistake and not something i should have to pay for.....or am i wrong?

Was your initial call to the back recordered? I would check it out.
Most banks advise that all calls will be recorded

yes it should have been recorded, it said it would be when i rang and i can give them the time and dates of the calls (had to ring twice to do it as they are fairly incompetent on the phone)

not sure but the last time i tried to use my card was in a bar and the card was rejected, even though i tried it twice (this has never happened before) and that is where i believe i lost the card

my point is this though, if ive cancelled the card, and the bank havent done as i've asked, then that is there problem and not mine, and i shouldnt be made to pay for their mistake, from the records they have shown me, all money was taken out AFTER i rang to get the card cancelled

You should not be charged for any items once you notified them to cancel the card ! Maybe they never cancelled the card, or it took them a while before they got to do it, but either way, you should not be held liable.

You are not liable for any transactions on your card after notifying them and getting it canceled.
I am hearing though that it is getting more and more difficult to get the banks to pay up on fraudulent use of cards. They seem determined to stick to the idea that pin cards are 100% safe so you must have been negligent with the card and pin. Of course thats a load of rubbish. The cards are nowhere near 100% safe even with the pin technology.

not sure but the last time i tried to use my card was in a bar and the card was rejected, even though i tried it twice (this has never happened before) and that is where i believe i lost the card

That sounds potentially suspicious to me. Was it a bar where you are known, and know the staff, or a busy place with throngs of revellers?

my point is this though, if ive cancelled the card, and the bank havent done as i've asked, then that is there problem and not mine, and i shouldnt be made to pay for their mistake, from the records they have shown me, all money was taken out AFTER i rang to get the card cancelled

Broadly speaking, I think you are right, although you might have a problem with evidence where you have not given the instruction in writing. But you might be on shakier ground if you had done something stupid like keep a written note of the PIN in the same place as the card.

People can be very lax about their pin number....I have regularly stood behind someone in a shop & clearly seen them key in their number.

The situation in the bar does sound dodgy....do you know the bar/people at all?

Re the bank - do you have the name of the person you spoke to? I gerally try to start off one of those type of calls with "could I please have your full name & ext number?". I find you are far more likely to get what ever you need done.

I guess from your post you are UK/NI based, who do you bank with?

Most banks (if not all) say that any transactions after you have cancelled your card will be covered by the bank themselves.

Have they given you a reason as to why your card wasnt cancelled?

@ Bronte - Most ATM cards are debit-cards as well and go through the electronic reader for purchases / cash-back - is that what your question means?

Which reminds me - maybe OP's card went through a skimmer instead of or as well as a reader, which is how the PIN was captured. The usual precaution is not to allow the card out of your sight.

I assume the Gardai are aware of this ?

What's the time lag between you noticing your card as missing, and notifiying the bank ? Think of it from the bank's POV - they need to be sure that your version of events stands up.

The date that appears on the statement for the withdrawal of the money may not correspond exactly to the date on which the withdrawal was made. If it is withdrawn on another banks machine it may take a couple of days for the data to show up on your account. Is it possible that the withdrawals were made before you cancelled the card?

Back