banking in south america

H

help!

Does anyone know if there is a bank in uruguay or any country close that would allow a foreigner to go in with a visa card and some ID and withdraw a load of money, preferably in dollars or something. Pretty long shot but if anyone knows anything I would appreciate it

bump, no-one have any ideas? It's a visa card with an irish bank(BOI) by the way...

I undertand any bank displaying the Visa symbol should permit Visa withdrawals subject to the normal security criteria and available funds. Not sure whether you can withdraw in dollars tho.

Thanks for that.
Is there any way I could find out which banks would do this because it is my understanding that many banks here will only deal with their own clients.

Just to update my question.
I have money on my credit card. I want to have that same money in my hands instead. It is my money. There has to be a simple way for me to do this. I can't understand why it would be difficult.

I had hassle withdrawing cash from inside the banks building in south america. I ended up just having to use atms all the time.

Yes unfortunately the amount I am looking to withdraw is way to much for the atm to be of any use :(

Tried that of course, they have no idea how to help me.
They don't know which banks would all this transaction.
I also rang VISA international, same deal.
I was just hoping someone here might have had experience of this.

Why not drop into a bank, tell them what you want, and ask them to do their security checks and that you will return in 24 hours? Or alternatively if you have online banking see if Western Union or one of those guys can help. From a quick glance at the Western Union site they seem to allow the use of Visa for money transfers.[broken link removed]

Back