Bank want to add my dad to the mortgage years later

Rainbow08

I took out a mortgage year ago and at the time I advised the lender that it was one on mortgage and two on title. They agreed to this and had no problem with it and at the same time my solicitor raised this issue with them before any drawdown and lender agreed again in writing that they had no problem with this.
Now they are making an issue of it saying that my parent is required to be on the mortgage to protect their collateral but deed of postponment was signed at the same time which would assume their collateral is protected. I feel at this stage I am being intimidated and stressed out by the bank as I would never have taken mortgage out in first place if this was an issue. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I dont think they can hassle you about this as the documents were signed years ago and they allowed you to drawdown on the mortgage on those circumstances.

You should take some legal advice but I dont think the bank can force your parent to on the mortgage now. Have you missed any payments on the mortgage as it seems strange they would request this now on a mortgage that is being repaid without any issues.

Thanks robbie00. No payments missed and all payments up to date. I sought legal advice as their letter suggested I do and was told by my solicitor not to worry. I still wonder why they try to persist with this.

Hi Rainbow

Make a formal complaint to them in writing and ask for an apology for the stress caused and a final response letter. Say that if you are not happy with the Final Response you will make a formal complaint to the ombudsman and seek compensation for maladministration, inconvenience and stress.

As what Brendan says. The bank are chancing their arm trying to get you to do something that only has benefit to them.

Back