Bank of Ireland Branch closing....where is the account now?

Grizzly

My grand daughter has an account in the Bank of Ireland Ballyfermot branch. This was one of the branches that closed recently. She never received any notification or correspondence from her branch to say that it was closing or to tell her where her account is now located. Hard to believe.

Anyone else in a similar situation.

Does it matter? My branch is (was) on James's Street. The only time I was ever in there was when I opened the account when I worked in the area decades ago.

Thanks. The list only tells you where the nearest branches are located. The Ballyfermot branch even closed it's ATM in the area. The list says that Walkinstown is her nearest branch at 4.1KMs. If she didn't even get a notice of closure in the post, I wonder what will happen to her replacement ATM card etc, when it falls due.

Does she still have the same IBAN and BIC?

She will be having an important birthday date soon and we wanted to lodge a gift to her account.

The account is on the Bank of Ireland's servers. It's not in a branch as such.

Yes, the IBAN stays the same.

Brendan

If she didn't get a letter, then probably her address is not up to date.

Did she get regular statements?
If her address has changed, it is up to the account holder to tell the bank - they can hardly be expected to guess where she moved to

It's an interesting question, as it shouldn't matter where the account was opened. We opened an account in branch A. We are now closest to branch B and do our banking there. I went to close the account today and the customer service representative told me she would have to write to branch A to get the account closed, which seems very silly indeed. So there is some tie back to the branch in which an account was created.

If she didn't get a letter, then probably her address is not up to date.

Did she get regular statements?
If her address has changed, it is up to the account holder to tell the bank - they can hardly be expected to guess where she moved to
She has lived in the same house all her life. Good question about her bank statements, I will ask her. She is a student so her account is designated a student account. I would say not terribly active.
In a previously life I worked for the Bank of Ireland. This type of thing would not have happened in my day. In one of the branches where I worked and when it closed, the accounts were transferred to the nearest branch. Old cheque books were scrapped and new cheque books issued.

For the benefit of some of the younger users of Askaboutmoney, could you explain what a cheque book is.
I remember after the bank strike of 1970 my job was to file away customers cheques. There were thousands of cheques issued during the 6 month bank strike. Each customer had a drawer in each branch where their cheques were filed before being sent back to them in their bank statements. I would work until 11 p.m every evening for weeks. Lots of paper cuts on my fingers.

With all the overtime I purchased my first car....a new Mini 850.

Back