Bank of Ireland App warning about Android version

so-crates

I received a warning notification in my BOI app telling me I needed to update my phone to a newer version of Android as Android 11 will no longer be supported on the app after 31st March. However, my phone is on Android 14 so I am wondering if it was a general broadcast that went out to everyone regardless of the version of Android or is there potentially an issue?

I've a perfectly functioning Huawei P20 Pro from 2019.
The Bank of Ireland website says that Huawei won't be supported anymore?
It's EMUI 12.0.0 But I think that is only Android 11.

Maybe Is it more to do with the fact that Huawei are not supported on the play store rather than the age of the phone. Although thats only phones after 2019 so not sure about that…

I can't find the message I got from BOI.
I thought it said you have to have Android 12, but on their website it says Android 11.

My understanding is that the app will still work for now on Android 10 but you wont be able to install or reinstall it after 1st April. You may start getting bugs in using the app on old phone as not supported.

Its Android 11 you need, I have 14 but I got the message, but it was a badly worded message and indicated that my device was not compliant right now.

Thank you Androidman!
If worst comes to worst and the App stops working, I might buy a cheap new phone.

Lengthy thread on this over on boards.ie

I’ve summarised some key points for a friend who was confused by the issue.
  • The notification appears to be a general (indiscriminate) one i.e. you receive it whether or not it applies to your phone (A lot of criticism about how late BOI left it to issue this notice)
  • Your BOI app should continue to work, however you will not receive any updates (including security updates) and you will be unable to reinstall the App. If you have any issues or problems with the App going forward, you are unlikely to receive support**
  • You options appear to be to purchase a (new) supported phone, or a second hand phone that runs a supported version of the App
  • Alternative, you can give up on the App and revert to using the Web interface (however see next point)
  • If you use the BOI Web interface, and use the BOI App on your phone to validate your log-on, then you will no longer be able to log if the App ceases to work. You can apply to BOI to send you a Physical Security Key (PSK) to validate your log-on. Note that it takes a week or so to receive the PSK once requested, and, once you request a PSK you will no longer be able to use the App for validation.
  • PSK detail here https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/faq/physical-security-key-psk-explained/
** Using an out of date version of an APP is generally bad practice, especially so where it relates to online banking, and is not to be recommended.

Thanks for that Freelance.
Someone recommended the Samsung Galaxy A15 over there as a cheap phone with a fair degree of future proofing.
Seems to have a good enough spec.?

** Using an out of date version of an APP is generally bad practice, especially so where it relates to online banking, and is not to be recommended.

Not only out of date version of an app - it is bad practice to use an (old) phone that doesn’t get security updates, especially for sensitive things like online banking. Old Android versions are a security risk, which is why app developers stop supporting them (one reason anyway).
Better replace it with a simple/cheap Android phone that gets updates or get a phone with longer-term update plans (usually more expensive ones).
Not great of course that this increases waste etc., but I guess still less wasteful than going back to in-branch banking only.

Back