Bank notification of change to student/graduate account.

jobseekr1

I opened a student account with BOI quite some time ago, and got a call out of the blue before Christmas to say my account as a student was finished (I left college the guts of a decade ago), and they would put me on a graduate account etc. I didn't think much of it at the time, just thanked the person.
Anyhow, I see from the BOI site the graduate account lasts for a year, so do the generally write to customers a month before fees come in, or is it up to the account holder to be on the watch?
The whole thing seemed strange given I finished university quite some time ago, is this typical?
If they change my account to standard current account I'll just switch to PTSB based on the best buys thread.

Look at it this way ... you got a decade free of fees.

BOI are catching up on accounts that should have fees attached .... unfortunately they've now caught up with you.

I had free banking from BOI previously but they're catching me for approx. €25 per quarter.

Fair point Paddy, but €25 per quarter is steep compared to KBC/PTSB though..But like you said if I've had free banking for years..

The whole thing seemed strange given I finished university quite some time ago, is this typical?

It is very common for banks to do a bad job at failing to convert student accounts into graduate.

Anyhow, I see from the BOI site the graduate account lasts for a year, so do the generally write to customers a month before fees come in, or is it up to the account holder to be on the watch?

Banks generally do a better job at converting graduate accounts into standard accounts because graduate accounts only last for a short period of time.

You are best off not waiting for a call but rather switching to PTSB in advance of the expiry of your graduate account.

Back