Bank ignoring credit rating issue

keepon

I have a problem with a major retail bank that has given me tracker redress. In their correspondence on the matter, they said that they would address problems with my credit rating if requested.

My credit rating was shredded at the time of the banking crisis and only in recent years have I succeeded in clearing all debts from that debacle. I would have had a clean bill of health if I hadn't been hugely overcharged on my mortgage. I called them on their supplied support line to ask them to take action to amend my rating, or at least to add an explanatory note. They said they'd get back to me, and never did, in spite of a subsequent follow-up email. Clearly they're not terribly interested in helping to clear up the mess they caused.

What should be my next step? Is there a higher authority (short of the Central Bank) that I should appeal to? Having a poor credit record is seriously impacting on some major like choices that I need to make soon.

Hi keepon

If you had been on the tracker rate all along, would you have been in arrears? Most people were in arrears because of a loss of income rather than higher mortgage rates. I have seen some, but not many cases, where the loss of the tracker was the cause of the arrears.

Assuming that is the case, then you should write to them formally asking them to fix your credit rating or alternatively send you a final response letter so you can complain to the Ombudsman. Point out that their failure to do so is costing you a lot in loss of choices and, as a result, you will be seeking substantial compensation for their failure.

But the Central Credit Register is also very concerned about accurate data. Contact them and you can ask them to correct it.

Brendan

My credit rating was shredded at the time of the banking crisis and only in recent years have I succeeded in clearing all debts from that debacle.
How recently? the CCR stores info for a maximum of 5 years. Does your CCR report still have data that might impair your credit rating?

What should be my next step? Is there a higher authority (short of the Central Bank) that I should appeal to? Having a poor credit record is seriously impacting on some major like choices that I need to make soon.
FSPO?

But you'll need a final decision letter from the bank in response to a formal complaint first.

Edit: post crossed with @Brendan Burgess's but basically agrees with his.

Hi keepon

If you had been on the tracker rate all along, would you have been in arrears? Most people were in arrears because of a loss of income rather than higher mortgage rates. I have seen some, but not many cases, where the loss of the tracker was the cause of the arrears.
I was in arrears -- with the bank and other lenders -- because of a combination of both an acute loss of income and massively overpaying on a large mortgage. I had been on a tracker it would have been a very different picture.
Assuming that is the case, then you should write to them formally asking them to fix your credit rating or alternatively send you a final response letter so you can complain to the Ombudsman. Point out that their failure to do so is costing you a lot in loss of choices and, as a result, you will be seeking substantial compensation for their failure.

But the Central Credit Register is also very concerned about accurate data. Contact them and you can ask them to correct it.

Brendan
Good plan, thanks!
How recently? the CCR stores info for a maximum of 5 years. Does your CCR report still have data that might impair your credit rating?

FSPO?

But you'll need a final decision letter from the bank in response to a formal complaint first.

Edit: post crossed with @Brendan Burgess's but basically agrees with his.
I finally paid off my last remaining debt just two years ago or so. So my credit report is still a mess.

Back