Bank Holiday Pay Entitlement

twofor1

On average, my basic working week is 39 hours over either 4 or 5 days, when rostered on a bank holiday I get paid double my hourly rate for whatever hours I work, if my shift is 6 hours, I get paid 12, if my shift is 11 hours I get paid 22.

Some have been saying recently that even if only a 6 hour shift, one is entitled to normal payment for that 6 hours plus a day’s pay which is 7.8 hours (39/5).

The counter argument of course is when we do an 11 hour shift, possibly we are only entitled to an additional 7.8 hours rather than the 11 we get.

Citizens information etc give one of the options for working Bank Holidays as an additional day’s pay, but makes no reference to how shorter or longer days are dealt with.

Are we been done on shorter bank holiday shifts ?

Are we been overpaid on longer bank holiday shifts ?

Are we entitled to an additional 7.8 hours even for shorter shifts but still entitled to double for longer shifts ?

Or, is the current payment method correct ?

Can anyone provide a definitive answer (If there is one) and a link to same ?

Thank’s.

Last edited:
If it works out at an average 7.8 hours extra pay per bank holiday over a year, then I think that would suffice.

Even if you do not work a shift on a bank holiday, you are entitled to payment.

Or another way of putting it, there are 11 bank holidays. So based on an average 39 hour week, you would be entitled to an additional 86 hours pay / time off over the year.

One question is whether you get paid/get time off for the bank holiday if you aren't rostered on?

Last edited:
I sounds like you are getting a good deal. Double time for bank holidays is a very good rate.

Tks, I should have mentioned if we don't work a bank holiday, we do get paid 8 hours.
Then I reckon it works out over the year. May be an hour or two out and probably in your favour. Certainly nothing to warrant querying it.

Back