bank holiday friday: office closes early; partime equality

J

jules312

i know i probably sound like an old biddie
but our office is quite good at letting us go early on the bank holiday weekends, the office would normally close at 5.30pm and we could be let go at 4pm or 4.30pm
it just dawned on me that the full time workers get say 6 of these in a year, and working on that being either 6X1hr or 6X1.5hrs
thats a nice bit of extra time off
i know there is a document that says part time and full time should be treated the same.
should the part time ppl be entitled to this?
J

title edited by ajapale

Re: bank holiday weekends

I can't see what exactly you are asking here. Is it that full time staff get off an hour or so early every bank holiday but because you are part time and don't work every bank holiday you therefore feel aggrieved that you don't get as many early days?
Or are you saying that the full time people get the early days but the part time people who are working those days have to stay for the full day?
If you are talking about the second scenario then I think that you should get the same early day but I don't think it's anything to get your knickers in a twist about.
If you are talking about the first scenario then I think you have too much time on your hands and/or are taking the p**s...

Hi Jules

I've been thinking about your question and am going to guess at the clarification. My guess is that a part time worker finishes at say 15:00 everyday. So on a BH Friday gets no benefit from the early finish.

I used to manage a large group of part and full timers and have had this kind of issue in the past. I find that on average things work out. For instance my part timers would generally have the same morning break (say 10-15 minutes) as the full timers and also had the same lunch time. Strictly speaking the part timer should have proportionally less break time but it would be petty to get into that level of detail. So I think it could be petty to get into argument about "potential time".

The other point to make is the employer is doing a nice thing (I'm assuming this is not in anyone's contract), if someone made a fuss the employer would have only one option open to them, that is to make everyone work a normal day.

Now I'm really not sure if my interpretation of the question is accurate but if it is I have a question for you.

Would you prefer
A. Everyone work their normal day
B. Remain as it is

Nat

natchessman
got the right senario...on the friday of the bank holiday the office close at 4pm
a lot of staff work part time and finish at different times 2pm,3pm 4pm depending on their circumstances which means they never benefit from this little bonus
i was just wondering if the parttime ppl could not get this on a pro rata basis. i wouldnt mind leaving even a half an hour early on those special weekends.
i think part time workers, actually work harder because they feel privileged to be let work less hours (of which they only get paid for the hours they work)
i work 5 hours a day of which i get one 15 min break, and my lunch i eat as i work.
thanks for you replies
j

Hi Jules - Do the full-time workers work unpaid overtime from time to time?

workers' rights

Don't mean to come over all religious - it's merely that the story below illustrates a similar point...

You're not getting any less that what was agreed with you. If the full-timers are getting more than what was agreed with them, then great for them, but you shouldn't feel aggrieved by it. Then again, that's human nature, and in your position I'm sure I'd feel the same way.

Labourers in the Vineyard
1 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is a householder, which went out early in the morning to hire laborers into his vineyard.

2 And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.

3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the market place,

4 and said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.

5 Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.

6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?

7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.

8 So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.

9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.

10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.

11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,

12 saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.

13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?

14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.

15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?

16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

Re: workers' rights

Great reply Graphic!
My sentiments exactly.
ajapale

emmmmmm

ok very nice story and it did touch my heart

but some ppl are very inconsiderate in their replies.
any time i put a post up...ppl seem to think i either have too much time on my hands or have very little to think about....well you wouldn't even want to go there!!!
thanks for the considerate replies, still thinking about wheter to bring it up with personal...but i suppose thats my decision at the end of the day (wheter thats + or - 1.5 hrs)

j

40 hours-39hours

There was some arrangment when people went from a 40 hour week to 39 hour that this could be given as an hour off on Friday, As far as I know,this did not apply to parttimers.

Re: emmmmmm

but some ppl are very inconsiderate in their replies. any time i put a post up...ppl seem to think i either have too much time on my hands or have very little to think about....well you wouldn't even want to go there!!!

That seems to be a bit unfair. As far as I can see there's one slightly exasperated outburst above and then the parable above which I presume is meant a bit facetiously. I don't recall other posts of yours that have met with a negative response but I am open to correction.

Re: 40 hours-39hours

must check out the info on 40 hr week reduced to 39!!
to all considerate replee's my apoligies.
i did post another question and i suppose looking back on it now may have seemed trivial, but i someone asked a question on a message board....it is most likely their last avenue for an answer and maybe ppl should think of that before their quick to take the P***
thanks again
j

Re: emmmmmm

Don't be dissuaded from posting by the odd smart comment. If your question is reasonable and clearly stated you will generally get some useful feedback. :)

Hi Jules,
Apologies if my comments caused offence but I do think it's unreasonable to ask for time off because others are let off early when you are not there. If there is a culture of pettyness from management (if you are docked pay for going out for a half hour during your day etc) and you are working through breaks and going the extra mile then the there is a fundamental issue of lack of respect and undervaluing of staff. I wouldn't use a few hours pay over the year to address the bigger issues, I'd ask that your overall role be valued.

Back