Bank culture has not changed.....customer is still lowest priority

MrViking

So I have a legacy KBC mortgage which recently moved to BOI. I called up today re a basic request re interest paid during 2022. I get through to their KBC mortgage transition team who tell me they don't have access to that information (they can only tell me current balance)......and that they will have to arrange for someone else in the mortgage team to call me back.....BUT, that it will be 48-72 hours for that callback. That's 2-3 days just to get a call back so that I can request this basic piece of information. Are you kidding me? BOI have had well over a year to put in place the appropriate processes and resources to service the KBC book of business they acquired. Where is the Central Bank in supervising banking activity in Ireland? I know this is small scale versus some of the other areas the Central Bank has not acted on, but it still signals to me that the culture in Irish banks has not in any way changed.

MrViking, did you not already receive statement of interest paid for 2022? For instance I think UB issue these in December/early January.

Shouldn't take until mid-Feb to get this and you shouldn't have had to request it!

So I have a legacy KBC mortgage which recently moved to BOI. I called up today re a basic request re interest paid during 2022. I get through to their KBC mortgage transition team who tell me they don't have access to that information (they can only tell me current balance)......and that they will have to arrange for someone else in the mortgage team to call me back.....BUT, that it will be 48-72 hours for that callback. That's 2-3 days just to get a call back so that I can request this basic piece of information. Are you kidding me? BOI have had well over a year to put in place the appropriate processes and resources to service the KBC book of business they acquired. Where is the Central Bank in supervising banking activity in Ireland? I know this is small scale versus some of the other areas the Central Bank has not acted on, but it still signals to me that the culture in Irish banks has not in any way changed.
They have other work to do. Are they supposed to drop it? 2 -3 days isn't that long.

Just for the record my daughter received her BOI certificate of interest only yesterday, so sit tight for a day or so.

I was promised a callback a few weeks ago. It didn't materialise. I could have lived with 2 - 3 days. I guess banks are about making money and some view customers as a necessary evil.

Banks are pathetic. I received a letter from BOI recently, saying that they no longer top up mobile phones. I mean what ?

You can top up via your network provider's website. It was always a bit strange that you could have toped up you phone in the online banking. Handy if you're already there doing something else, but purposely to login to top up isn't quicker than in the network provider's site.

I called in to the Permanent TSB in Blackrock to open a new fixed term account. I was unable to do this because they had no staff able to do this task....they were all in training. I was the only customer in the branch. There were two officials at the counter and a number of people working in rooms.
This branch took over from the Ulster Bank branch that was previously there in February. It is now April.

I was told to go to Stillorgan or Blackrock branches where I could be helped.

Why have Permanent TSB no staff available to perform relatively simple tasks?

I called in to the Permanent TSB in Blackrock to open a new fixed term account. I was unable to do this because they had no staff able to do this task....they were all in training. I was the only customer in the branch. There were two officials at the counter and a number of people working in rooms.
This branch took over from the Ulster Bank branch that was previously there in February. It is now April.

I think you can open it online?

The AIB in Blackrock is not much better. I had a cheque that I needed to lodge in to my son's AIB account by credit transfer. Not even any type of machine that would take this in Blackrock. The branch was empty. I was sent to their nearest office in Stillorgan. In their Stillorgan branch there were about 30 customers in the queue waiting for three cashiers who seemed to be taking all day over every transaction. Hot stuffy branch.

It would be a great asset to Blackrock if they could upgrade this branch to what it used to be before they closed down the old one on the main street.

This thread on banks ability to try to provide excellence to customers has just jogged my memory. My warning here to be be careful for what you wish. The OP merely wanted a verbal statement of his/her mortgage due at a particular time. I've had a few mortgages in my day and believe me I knew at all times what payments were due and when and also the amount and time left to pay the amount borrowed. Currently a rise of mortgage interest rates to around 3% is causing headlines and major worry to customers (just glance through a few threads on this forum).
1. I can remember when mortgage rates rose to 19.75% and still I have the bank statements confirming this which I read occasionally and my bad memories and feelings have not abated.
2. When we were waiting for our first mortgage to "be made available" we spent just over twelve months on bridging finance (believe me, you need this like you need oesophegal cancer).
3. After going off bridging and a year into the twenty year mortgage the bank statement indicated that we owed more than the original mortgage amount borrowed. I visited my bank branch and queried this with the asst. branch manager. He informed me that I was one of the luckiest people alive to get a mortgage from them (the bank that cares) and he was thinking that the bank possibly made a mistake in providing us with the finance. I retreated with my tail between my legs after being informed that my query "was not in the best interests of the bank."
4. You can fix mortgage rates these days. We could not. I remember the relief after years when the mortgage rate was reduced to 13.5% and my thoughts:- At last we have a few bob to spend. It didn't happen and the the rates rose again.
5. I wrote to the caring bank and applied for the time of our mortgage to be extended to 25 years rather than the current 20 years. The fastest reply in the history of the Dept of Posts and Telegraphs arrived almost at once informing us of our obligations and the mortgage time would remain at 20 years. We were seen as a risk and our cheque books were withdrawn although our bank accounts were in credit. This played out worse than I' am saying here.
6. Eventually, we cleared the mortgage and around 2004 the caring bank sent us more mail than the entire political parties at election time and offered us huge amounts of money and at unbelieveable low interest rates. I had verbal contacts as well regarding opening off shore accounts. I learnt my lessons dearly and rejected all offers.
7. So you can't find your amount owed by a mere telephone call. How times have changed!

I made a complaint to the Irish Permanent on their online form 10 days ago and not even a response to date.

They have other work to do. Are they supposed to drop it? 2 -3 days isn't that long.
I think the expectation is that the information would be to hand when you get through to the mortgage team.
Not an unreasonable expectation in my opinion.
2-3 days seems tardy.

You can top up via your network provider's website. It was always a bit strange that you could have toped up you phone in the online banking. Handy if you're already there doing something else, but purposely to login to top up isn't quicker than in the network provider's site.
Or you could consider dropping your PAYG provider & move over to GoMo. A bunch of my family members have dones this. Unlimited everything for EUR15/month.
Perfectly good coverage to date. No need to ever top up again. They can just take the Eur15 off you every month.

Or you could consider dropping your PAYG provider & move over to GoMo. A bunch of my family members have dones this. Unlimited everything for EUR15/month.
Perfectly good coverage to date. No need to ever top up again. They can just take the Eur15 off you every month.
I prefer Post Mobile for same money: calls and texts unlimited and 25GB. Vodafone network is better in my area than Eir. And Post Mobile customer service is wonderful.

Back