Bank account mix up - what happens in this scenario?

qwerty08

Hey,

only way to explain whats happening is to use an example:

Sheila and Sean O' Sullivan living in Town x Co. Kerry and have a joint account with EBS.

Sheila and Sean O' Sullivan living in Town y Co. Kerry and have a joint account with EBS.

Both couples transacted with EBS in Town Z......

Now it appears the bank has mixed up a number of transactions over a period of YEARS!

I know both couples should have noticed but for a variety of reasons they havent! The building society has said this is extremely rare, blah de blah and have launched an investigation. They are also trying to get the written slips for the lodgements and withdrawals to figure out whose owed what.

What recourse do either of these couples have??

Sorry if i didnt make the scenario clearer but any input would be appreciated!

What recourse do either of these couples have??
Make a formal written complaint to the institution. Try to estimate any losses (if any) and ensure that compensation at least covers these. If necessary complain to the [broken link removed].

This happened to me a few years ago with BoI. My husband and his brother have their current accounts in the same branch and obviously have the same surname, let's call it Smith. His brother's wife and I have the same initial. So we were both M Smith. I went to collect my new Laser card and was given my sister-in-laws by mistake. I used it for quite a few months to pay bills and withdraw from ATM's before my husband's brother noticed his cash disappearing and the error came to light. Obviously we didn't check our transactions!! Anyway the upshot was a casual verbal apology and a meal voucher each. They now put our full names on our cards.

Back