Bank account for newborn

breaks

Hi All,
Have a 6 week old baby boy and we were thinking of setting up a bank account for him. Ideally something that has no charges ( we won't need atm cards), allow us to check balance etc online and allow us his parents to make transactions even though it is his account. So say he wants a bike in four years time and we can't afford it but we could use money from his account.

Any advice or tips greatly appreciated.

thanks

Re: Bank account for new born

I know Halifax offer a childrens account as I am sure all the banks do. Think this might covered elsewhere if you do a search.

Hi breaks, congratulations on your new arrival.

Bear in mind that most ATMs are at least three feet off the ground, so using them may pose a problem for the young man initially. ;)

Have a look at the various savings options in the Best Buys. You should earn a bit of interest on the money rather than have it just sitting in a 'child' account earning very little. He won't really grasp the difference.

Best deposit rates (lump sum savings)
Best deposit rates (regular savings)
Best deposit rates (fixed term lump sum savings)

HI

I went into my local halifax yesterday and they do not open accounts in your childs name, they only do a regular saving account in your name. I am looking for an account that my child can go in and lodge his birthday monies etc as i want to teach him the value of money ( he is eight )

She said EBS have a good account for children, so im off to investigate on monday ! Perm have a childrens account but it is paying a variable rate,which i feel they will soon reduce !!

PTSB offer the best rate for children's accounts ...

[broken link removed]
3.00% from €1 to €20,000
1.50% on €20,000+
Note 1: Instant access
Note 2: Account aimed at children.
Note 3: Interest paid annually on the first working day after 20th November.
Deposit Protection: Irish Government Bank Guarantee Scheme until September 30th 2010, Irish Deposit Protection Scheme only from October 1st 2010.

Also have a look at what An Post have to offer especially if thinking of saving children's allowance. No tax, keen rate of interest and as safe as the state(however safe that is)

I know Halifax offer a childrens account as I am sure all the banks do. Think this might covered elsewhere if you do a search.

Halifax will not open accounts for children.

Don't touch the AIB Parent Saver account.

Read the AIB T&C's very carefully,
  • There is a max contribution of 200 EUR per month
  • The rate expires on May 20th 2010
  • You will get AIB's standard variable rate, 0.01%, after that date.

Hence, you will earn 200.00 EUR * 0.05 * (5/12) * 0.75 = 3.12 EUR !!! (per first January contribution and less for the rest).

Don't waste your time & money with this AIB, T&C heavyweight account, there are far better options.

Back