Ballycullen traffic issues

Re: Ballycullen to Baggot street area journey

Right...I'm buoyed up enough about this issue now. I'll be writing letters to various people (TD's and Dublin Bus) about this issue. I'll let you know how I get on.

I also agree with Dowee who said the area in general is becoming over developed. Ellier don't look like they're stopping anytime soon but as you said the infrastructure is hideous. Just look at the state of those shops at woodstown. It's a full on fight to even get in there and get a space most of the time. I try to avoid it whenever possible but when you need milk or bread or a DVD it's just handy...kind of!

Gabriel said:
Right...I'm buoyed up enough about this issue now. I'll be writing letters to various people (TD's and Dublin Bus) about this issue. I'll let you know how I get on.

I emailed various councillors and TDs back in May and the response I got back was that they would be looking into it and would get back to me - I have heard nothing since.
I also emailed Dublin Bus and they said they had no intention of making changes to the buses in the Frihouse area in the near future.

I hope you get a more positive response now! Actually might write a few follow up mails myself - the more that complain the better!

loughquinn said:
I emailed various councillors and TDs back in May and the response I got back was that they would be looking into it and would get back to me - I have heard nothing since.
I also emailed Dublin Bus and they said they had no intention of making changes to the buses in the Frihouse area in the near future.

I hope you get a more positive response now! Actually might write a few follow up mails myself - the more that complain the better!

Great stuff Loughquinn. Please do that. I have a tendency to put on my most annoying voice in these circumstances. I'll badger people until I get real answers out of them...

Just from the point of view of TD's saying they'd look into the matter. This sounds pretty awful seeing as they're ultimately responsible for the state of infrastructure right now! As if they don't know what it's like...

Today was a 'good' day...
FYI, left home this morning at 8:50am, and was at my desk in Baggot St in 32 minutes. :)

20 min driving. Parked car.
2 min waiting for bus
10 min bus journey + walk to work

Gabriel said:
Just from the point of view of TD's saying they'd look into the matter. This sounds pretty awful seeing as they're ultimately responsible for the state of infrastructure right now! As if they don't know what it's like...

Got a response from one of the TD's which he got from the Roads Department of SDCC.
"The matter of serious traffic congestion particularly at peak hours in the Ballycullen. Woodstown area will be discussed at the Traffic Management Meeting which is scheduled to take place on 24th November 2005."

Thought it was interesting to see on the top of the Firhouse Motorway sliproad since yesterday, a big flashing sign saying 'Left & Right Turn ONLY'...

-soc

soc said:
Thought it was interesting to see on the top of the Firhouse Motorway sliproad since yesterday, a big flashing sign saying 'Left & Right Turn ONLY'...

-soc

But will anyone abide by it?

It must have been ignored the last few days as the traffic was backed up in Woodstown - however this morning the traffic was fine again and all because the guards were back on duty on the slip road. So obviously people have been ignoring the signs!

A Woodstown resident told me that they've been asked by the residents assocation to stop ringing the AA in the mornings about the traffic. Seems to have got some results with the appearance of Gardai at roundabout. Apparently the parents are called the "Woodstown Walkers" because they all walk their kids to school.

I've just emailed two of the local TD's in relation to some of the issues raised here. I'll hopefully hear something back soon.

I also pointed their attention to this thread.

I have received feedback from a couple of TD's and the issues is being looked into.

loughquinn said:
I have received feedback from a couple of TD's and the issues is being looked into.

Thanks loughquinn, your original post in this matter was what prompted me to write myself. I've asked about a number of issues...namely, traffic, public transport and shops.
Given that the planning for Hunterswood dates back over 4 years I believe(?) I think it's fair to ask our public representatives what environmental planning was put in place for the area at the time. Given the poor state of some services I think the planning was insufficient and that worries me given the expanding nature of Hunterswood.
I am also unwilling to be fobbed off with "we're looking into it". The Ballycullen area might be new-ish...but it's large enough at this stage for those in power to have a firm grasp on what needs to be done and be actually doing something about it in terms of implementation. I would like to know what the plan is and in detail.

I am being posted detail from Pat Rabittes office - if there is anything worth relaying I will post it here once I have received it.
Charlie O'Connor (FF) is getting a delegation together to go to Leinster House to meet the minister.

Hopefully the more people that cause a fuss about the situation the more chance we have of being heard!

Any indication of house prices in the area being affected by the adverse traffic conditions?

Well the last phase of Hunterswood seemed to sell very quickly so don't think its affecting the sale of new houses. Not too sure whether it will affect the resale value of the houses either.
I'm still glad I am living off the Firhouse exit though as in the evenings when I see the back up from there Northbound I breath a sigh of relief when I see the sign for Firhouse exit and I know I can get off the motorway!!

loughquinn said:
I am being posted detail from Pat Rabittes office - if there is anything worth relaying I will post it here once I have received it.
Charlie O'Connor (FF) is getting a delegation together to go to Leinster House to meet the minister.

Hopefully the more people that cause a fuss about the situation the more chance we have of being heard!

Thanks for the feedback loughquinn and I'll obviously post anything I get back too.

If there's any other Hunterswooders/Woodstowners reading who might be interested...it'd be great if you got onto your local TD's about these issues.

my2leftfeet said:
Any indication of house prices in the area being affected by the adverse traffic conditions?

For the last couple of phases in Hunterswood, people have been queing up from the night before. My sister in law inquired about the apartments in Beechwood only to be told that they didn't have to advertise the last phase as they had a list of people waiting to buy.

There seems to be traffic problems everywhere so I doubt it will affect house prices in this area in particular.

Gabriel said:
If there's any other Hunterswooders/Woodstowners reading who might be interested...it'd be great if you got onto your local TD's about these issues.

Hi Gabriel

If you have any e-mail addresses could you pm them to me? ...I'd be happy to send a few e-mails.

Hi Kiddo - you can email Pat Rabittes office [broken link removed] or get a list of councillors in Tallaght South area on the SDCC web site

Traffic in Ballycullen

Further to Gabriels post "Ballycullen to Baggot Street" I e-mailed a couple of local representatives re the peak traffic gridlock. I received this reply from John Hannon this morning which he received from the Senior Traffic Engineer in South Dublin Co. Co, - which may be of some interest to residents:

John,

This is the same problem experienced by Woodstown residents and recently discussed at on-site meeting with elected representatives and members of the Woodstown Residents Association.

In addition to the VMS sign near the top of the off-ramp noted by (my name removed), a second sign has been placed at the bottom of the off-ramp. The NRA is currently considering the safety aspects of placing water-filled barriers on the exit lane which would further discourage rat running at this location.

The main problem for traffic approaching the roundabout from the Ballycullen direction is that traffic from other approaches has priority at the roundabout itself. The Traffic Dept. has recently carried out a traffic survey, the preliminary results of which indicate the bulk of traffic from the Ballycullen direction is heading straight across towards Knocklyon/Ballyboden. This may facilitate the introduction of signals on the roundabout (we will have a better picture when detailed results are to hand), though it should be noted thar previous attempts to signalise the broadly-similar Ballymount interchange layout were unsuccessful because of the configuration of, and lack of queuing space on, the roundabouts themselves.

In the interim, the garda presence on the roundabout during morning peak has proved to be successful in balancing flows from all approaches.

The long term solution is to replace the existing interchange as part of the M50 upgrade works, but this will not be for a number of years.

Back