Ballpark figure for complete change of car tyres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClubMan

Just wondering if anybody could give me an idea of the likely ballpark figure for the replacement of all four 185/65/15 tyres (most likely a "mid-range" brand as I don't do an awful lot of mileage) on a 142 Dacia Sandero Mk II - supply & fitting, new valves, balancing, tracking/alignment, old tyre disposal levy, and VAT. I'm in Dublin.

The car still has its original (10 year old) tyres which are showing some wear/cracking and, while they did pass the recent NCT, I did get a (non-failure) advisory for age (6+ years old) and wear on one of the front ones, so I'm presuming that it probably makes sense to replace all four at this stage and not just two and rotate the rears to the front?

Thanks.

The first stop site will quote a fitted price for a range of tyres (budget, mid-range, premium) - I did a quick quote for your size, mid-range tyres fully fitted were €360 for 4 tyres. You can book online too.

I've used first stop in the past, and have been happy with the service.

Just wondering if anybody could give me an idea of the likely ballpark figure for the replacement of all four 185/65/15 tyres (most likely a "mid-range" brand as I don't do an awful lot of mileage) on a 142 Dacia Sandero Mk II - supply & fitting, new valves, balancing, tracking/alignment, old tyre disposal levy, and VAT. I'm in Dublin.

The car still has its original (10 year old) tyres which are showing some wear/cracking and, while they did pass the recent NCT, I did get a (non-failure) advisory for age (6+ years old) and wear on one of the front ones, so I'm presuming that it probably makes sense to replace all four at this stage and not just two and rotate the rears to the front?

Thanks.
dont make the mistake of buying cheaper tyres because you dont do much mileage, make sure you get a decent model from a quality brand, they dont need to be michelin pilot sports but good tyres are important.

dont make the mistake of buying cheaper tyres because you dont do much mileage, make sure you get a decent model from a quality brand, they dont need to be michelin pilot sports but good tyres are important.
I said "mid-range" - not "cheap[er]".
Thanks for not addressing the actual substantive question though.
:rolleyes:

For what it’s worth I recently bought 4 new tyres online from tyreleader.ie
Tyres 347 euro
My mechanic arranged fitting, balancing etc for 20 euro a tyre

All in 427 euro

For what it’s worth I recently bought 4 new tyres online from tyreleader.ie
Tyres 347 euro
My mechanic arranged fitting, balancing etc for 20 euro a tyre

All in 427 euro
Similar to what I paid for tyres and fitting recently. €105 a tyre.

Yeah, about €100 per tyre. Tracking/alignment extra but very important. You should really get a new spare too given the age of the tyres. You did well getting ten years out of them!

Yeah, about €100 per tyre. Tracking/alignment extra but very important. You should really get a new spare too given the age of the tyres. You did well getting ten years out of them!
10 yr old tyres is something else. The rubber will be .. rubbish. 6 years is kinda a good compromise if you don't do much mileage.

During my driving lessons, the rule we got repeated over and over was '4-4-4' - not older than 4 years, no less 4mm depth, and same 4 tyres all around (that was over 3 decades ago though). I'd go for about 6-3-4 these days, and switch front and back tyres half way through.

Price wise, my budget target would be €100 euro per corner fitted, going to €120 for size > 200

Thanks for the further info. It's helping me to shop around on a bit more of an informed basis. :)

Have bought from www.oponeo.ie several times and had no issues. Get tyres fitted for tenner each, but I'm in rural Wexford so fitting probably cheaper than Dublin.

Can someone explain tracking /alignment. I have always changed tyres but the various garages that have changed them have never mentioned tracking.

Can someone explain tracking /alignment. I have always changed tyres but the various garages that have changed them have never mentioned tracking.
If you want it done then you normally have to request it explicitly - and pay the extra charge for it.

Last edited:
Have bought from www.oponeo.ie several times and had no issues. Get tyres fitted for tenner each, but I'm in rural Wexford so fitting probably cheaper than Dublin.
Given the quality of tyres available here for 90-100 a corner (Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone) I wouldn't be going within a mile of Davanti.

The compromise you make with these budget brands is braking distance in most cases, not something I'd recommend.

Tyre fitters are incentivised to sell this stuff, they will give you some guff about how they are rebadged (insert proper tyre brand here) and just as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back