Ballinteer or Leopardstown

dublin buyer

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a place (maybe not now, but in 6 months or so) and I am doubting about a few places in Ballinteer and Leopardstown.

I would like to know people's views on both areas and mainly what if I were to sell the place, lets say, in 10 years time..., which one would it be easier to sell?

Thanks a lot

I used to live in an estate called Glenbourne, it is supposed to be leopardstown, but it is really an extension of Ballyogan.

I would not recommend living in this estate, it is very badly kept and managed, grass and trees are all a disgrase, one small common grass area for children to play and only a fence away from ballyogan. Young 'hoodies' hanging around the shops, outside the Gallops (the pub) frequently walking around Glenbourne and drinking in the area at night.

We only lasted 6 months in Glenbourne and had to move out. I am sure there are some lovely parts of Leopardstown, but steer clear of this estate.

HTH.

Ballinteer is a good area. The Luas in Ballally is about 15 mins walk from Ballinteer Ave. There is a regular bus service 16/48a 14a and 75 which passes by Luas stations. There are plently local facilities like shops, sports clubs parks etc and very convenient to the M50 for Airport runs, access to the South etc.
Schools, both private and public, have good reputations. I would say that property will hold its value as much as anywhere else in South Dublin
I know Leopardstown well and would have no difficulty with living there

I would have to agree with Yorrick I think Ballinteer has alot going for it I lived there and houses were always in demand so keep their value. Schools and amenities are very good there I still have family living there who have young families and teenagers and everyone is catered for.

hi, i've lived in Dundrum for most of my life and have to say that Dundrum/Ballinteer would be a great buy (not that I'm biased you understand :)). House prices shot up a few years ago and an average semi D was selling in the region of 800k +. Obviously things have changed, but estates like Broadford (well established, lots of mature families and also new families/FTB) would be a good buy now. While the estate is a little further from the Luas and Dundrum SC, there are shortcuts through other estates and you could probably walk it in 20min. Lots of amenities in the area and in general trouble-free. For saying that, we've had a bit of minor trouble (cars scratched, bins knocked, old bangers stolen) in our estate, but I think this is mainly due to the fact that we are on the main route from pub to a rougher area.
Good schools, transport routes.
Don't know Leopardstown as well, but haven't really heard anything negative about it.
If buying in either area I'd use the downturn to buy in a well established area rather than an apt complex as lots of bargains to be had!
best of luck in your search :)

I too would second Ballinteer as it's a more settled area. I work in Leopardstown, so I'm pretty familiar with the area - it's nice too, but if I had a choice it would be Ballinteer. It's closer to town, better bus service, more amenities, near to Marlay park.

Agreed.

Leopardstown is nice, but a lot of it has poor public transport and very few school places. A lot of people there are driving their kids to primary school in Ballinteer or Dundrum. There isn't a secondary school for miles. These issues will be a long time being resolved.

Ballinteer has loads of schools and public transport. Marley Park is a lovely amenity and the new swimming pool is nearly. I think this will make Ballinteer a "better" location for a lot of people looking for houses.

Back