Ballincollig Old Quarter or Maryborough Douglas

Ludo1

Hi there,

is there anyone who can suggest where is better to live, Ballincollig Old Quarter or Maryborough Ridge in Douglas, Cork?
Between buying a secondhand 1100 sq. feet in the Old Quarter in Ballincollig and a new 900 sq. feet in Maryborough Ridge?
We are very confused as to which is the best choice for living. Old Quarter seems like a lovely estate, close to everything and really pleasant. We don't know much about Ballincollig though except that looks nice and tidy..Maryborough is where many want to live but is further away from amenities, you would always need the car for everything! I am also concerned about 2 things. The first is that being foreigners (but in love with Ireland :)) where would we feel more welcome and which is a better environment for children? The second is related to the first, if we ever need to leave, which would guarantee a better resale value (or are they both good?)? Maybe the above sounds stupid, but would be interesting to know what people think. Friends and colleagues give different opinions (friends hate them and colleagues love them)!! Thank you in advance for any valuable opinion/suggestion you can provide!!

Hi Ludo,
Just to give you my opinion on your questions,i know the 2 places you mention and i agree the old quarter in Ballincollig is a lovely estate and houses dont come up for sale too often,but they are still a bit cheaper than the city,Douglas etc
It is probably down to personal choice,It just may be easier to sell a house in the city when you want to move on. Hope this helps a little.

regards Pat

Traffic around the Douglas area is always a pain in the mornings.Can't comment on the traffic in the Ballincollig area but have friends that live there and they're very happy there.

If you are working city centre - check out the bus service for both. Ballincollig (my parents currently live there) is nice - good ameneties - cinema, nice regional park, shopping centre, local shops. Is it possible to rent for a while in either places? I'm afraid I don't know Douglas as well.

Back