Bags for waste in Brown bins

trojan

Where I live we haave not yet been supplied with a Brown bin for compostable waste. The provider said when the bin is supplied we will have to buy from them special bags for the waste items which are only available from them. Is this correct?

This is a not a requirement of Panda, who I am with. I do use Obeo bags (as seen on dragons den), but thats purely for my own benefit.

With black bin waste, I've seen special bags, and the bins - but never both. It doesnt seem like good value to me. Have you a breakdown of charges?

You can buy suitable biodegradable bags from lots of different outlets, including here. No experience with them personally.

I thought most providers would give you a replacement bag with each empty.

You can buy suitable biodegradable bags from lots of different outlets, including here. No experience with them personally.

I thought most providers would give you a replacement bag with each empty.
Thanks Leo. My query is about the small bags to be used in the kitchen to house food waste and then put into a small kitchen bin which when full would be lodged into the large brown bin.

They're readily available in various sizes (certainly in SuperValu, which is where I get them). Just make sure they say "compostable" (rather than "biodegradable", which is different).

Thanks Leo. My query is about the small bags to be used in the kitchen to house food waste and then put into a small kitchen bin which when full would be lodged into the large brown bin.

Ah OK, as newtothis says, they are widely available. That site I linked above also supplies them.

Possibly stupid question... I buy a 'compostable' bag, put waste in it into brown bag. I know it's compostable, and that I am being responsible but do the bin company?
Do they take it on faith that it's compostable or is that why they are pushing their own identifiable bags?

Yes, you have to get compostable bags for the brown bins. You have to supply them yourself. The lidl ones are best. They have big handles which are easy to tie.

I'm with panda and they stipulate that you have to use them.

I don't know if they are capable of finding out if you are using the wrong bags or putting not compostable rubbish in the brown bin.

We have had compost waste caddy bin for several years now. At first we were given free samples of green biodegradable bags made by greensax. This worked well for a few years when the provider suddenly started to reject the green sax bins and insisted on brown paper bags or lining the caddys with newspapers. I get 14 brown bags by greensax for €2.20 from dunnes. I see the obeo ones as well but they are too dear.

I called the provider and they explained that they changed their digester system and could not accept the green bags. Also their operators are trained to reject plastic bags or anything that even looks like plastic. They are really strict. Our provider accepts bones and cooked meat.

I asked them why they provide such tiny little caddies and they said this was to reduce the amount of garden waste in the compost.

Aj

Back