Bag of Chips. Price increase.

Did you ask for soup in Starbucks - no wonder the barista regarded you as a bit of an inconvenience. Now some smart alec is going to say they''ve served soup in Starbucks for years. I haven't set foot in one for yonks - the thought of paying €3-4 euro for a coffee and 2-3 quid for a pastry doesn't sit well with a person like me reared in the 70s and 80s.
If you are ever in Cashel, walk past the restored Cashel Palace hotel, do not enter, do not look at the menu.

Coffee & scones €15 per person.

But it is an utterly unbelievable restoration job by Susan Magnier (yes, THE Magniers) and I did hear from someone I know that the €50 afternoon tea is worth every cent.

I paid €3.40 for a bag over the weekend.....
I have fish and chips about once a month. I've no idea what it costs. If I had to guess I'd say somewhere between €3.50 and €5.00 for a bag of chips and around €6-€7 for the fish.

I do the shopping every week. I've no idea what milk costs. I just know that the overall spend is around €130 (after the Dunnes Vouchers).

The nice thing about takeaway food, restaurants, café coffee etc is that there is absolutely no need to buy it if you can't afford it. I didn't have takeaway food for about 3 years, nor did my kids, because I couldn't afford it. Easy.

If you are ever in Cashel, walk past the restored Cashel Palace hotel, do not enter, do not look at the menu.

Coffee & scones €15 per person.

But it is an utterly unbelievable restoration job by Susan Magnier (yes, THE Magniers) and I did hear from someone I know that the €50 afternoon tea is worth every cent.
You can just picture the ad!!

Two Coffee & Scones ~ €30
Two Afternoon Teas ~ €100
Real conversation with your BFF in beautiful surroundings ~ Priceless
There are somethings money can't buy....

Why lash out silly cash for a few chips (probably imported from Cyprus or somewhere). Mrs Lep on her monthly Book Club and Wine tasting night usually serves up some chips along with eatables like a home-made burger or deep fried cod fillet and doesn't forget the mushy peas. She supplies enough wine for all too and not that €7.29 minimum price stuff either. Even the vinegar is decent along with sea salt.

Just get the right spuds and cut them with a sharp knife in equal size.

Why lash out silly cash for a few chips (probably imported from Cyprus or somewhere). Mrs Lep on her monthly Book Club and Wine tasting night usually serves up some chips along with eatables like a home-made burger or deep fried cod fillet and doesn't forget the mushy peas. She supplies enough wine for all too and not that €7.29 minimum price stuff either. Even the vinegar is decent along with sea salt.

Yes, but sometimes time is money and the fast food is chosen because it is fast. Not going to break the bank as long as it is the exception rather than the rule.

Happy to join the Book Club Lep ;):D

Had really lovely fish & chips recently at O'Reilly's and Dinos (Kinsale). The chips at both IIRC were about 4 euro but were excellent. Don't mind paying that once in a while to be honest.

I see that the price of the bag of chips that I complained about back in 2019 is now priced at €4. (it had gone from €2.75 to €3).

I think they might have thrown a few more in to the bag though......maybe this is for a short time only.

I see that the price of the bag of chips that I complained about back in 2019 is now priced at €4. (it had gone from €2.75 to €3).

I think they might have thrown a few more in to the bag though......maybe this is for a short time only.
For me it's still the best value when it comes to having a takeaway, the two of us can be fully repleated for under €20
A Chinese or Indian takeaway would come in somewhere between €25 to €30
But what has amazed me is the price of pizza's these days, somewhere between €35 to €40
And if I'm honest I still feel slightly hungry afterwards due to the smaller sizes and has resulted in us not having one in nearly a year!!

Pizzas 25 to 30 euros , that's expensive.
I can go to a local well established eatery and get a very good pizza for 15 to 20 euro and that's eating it in the premises.

What kind of pizza costs €40?. My local take away will do a 14 inch one for €15

They are the easiest thing to do at home though, Aldi do decent bases, jar of sauce, mozzarrella and what ever you want to have on it, you'd make 2 pizzas ready for the oven in 5 mins for less then a tenner

The new Aldi Carlos extra thin pizzas are excellent - €2 and 10min in the oven - unbeatable

Guys, all the prices I quoted above are for two people it's in the first line
I buy my pizzas in Dunnes now and though they will never come close to a good takeaway pizza the price is more palatable

What kind of pizza costs €40?. My local take away will do a 14 inch one for €15

They are the easiest thing to do at home though, Aldi do decent bases, jar of sauce, mozzarrella and what ever you want to have on it, you'd make 2 pizzas ready for the oven in 5 mins for less then a tenner
Make your own pizza dough. It's easy and you can freeze it. A Pizza stone and peel/paddle/lifter can be bought for under €80. Then you can make your own and when you get the hang of it there is no takeaway pizza that comes close.

You can also make most of the rest of the food that can be bought in a takeaway. Therefore it's a luxury and the purchase of it is optional.

When it comes to around twelve or one o clock tonight or tomorrow night some people won't care what they spend on that bag of chips.....or pizza

My kids make them all the time but just use Aldi wraps for the base. Tasty.

The new Aldi Carlos extra thin pizzas are excellent - €2 and 10min in the oven - unbeatable
The tesco Hearty food frozen range are nice enough. They are 1.25 up from 75cent. I remove the box and keep 2 in the freezer for when I only have the energy to take wrapping off them.

Back