Badly want to sell house

Patty C

Hi, briefly the situation is I want to sell my house, I can just about manage the mortgage monthly with a balance of €65000 with BoSI. I have the house on the market since April this year, its in the €350000-€425000 price bracket, initially there was good interest but this floundered, a town centre house with office space attached.
I really need to move due to my close (in proximity) neighbour who is my ex husband. While divorced for years with one dependent the situation is still very bad and he is not inclined to move on or indeed out!

The house is in my own name, I desperate at this point and looked at renting my home and then renting a smaller home/apt, this does not add up financially as I have to pay tax on rental income and if my potential tenant messed me around it would tighten things financially too., storage etc. and even a year or two down the line the house may not sell.

I feel im been realistic with the asking price, i will be buying on the proceeds of the sale if it were to happen.
Ex may /may not be interested in the house but wont declare his hand and he is not reliable, he will mess me about.

Please please any ideas, anything im missing. Many thanks P.

Your asking price is higher than what potential buyers are willing to pay. Even if it seems realistic to you, you will have to lower it to sell (especially if you want a quick sale).

If you can find somewhere new to purchase for a this lower amount, you may not feels so bad about lowering your asking price. There are some very good deals around.

So you owe €65,000 but the house is in the €350,000+ bracket?

Is this correct?

One thing to try is get a friend to call your EA and arrange a viewing. See how they get accommodated. You might be surprised at how some EAs act. At least in Dublin some are so bad that I've begun excluding any properties they advertise and I know I'm not alone in this fact.

There is a hell of a distance between 350K and 425K?

If you are not able to sell it is because you are not asking a realistic price.

Is this correct? Yes RMCF this is correct. It may seem a comfortable position but I have have other debts, not in regular employment and very little earning potential.

Bronte: I gave the asking price bracket as a guide only. I have already dropped the price by €200000.

Is this correct? Yes RMCF this is correct. It may seem a comfortable position but I have have other debts, not in regular employment and very little earning potential.

Bronte: I gave the asking price bracket as a guide only so as not to be easily identified . I have already dropped the price by €200000.

The true value of your home is the value that someone is willing to pay. It may be lower than €350,000. In your position, I'd ask three different estate agents (including the current one) to gove you a realistic estimate of what they would expect to sell your home at, for a quick sale. Tell your existing agent that you're considering moving the property to another. Ask the others if they have any customers on their books actively looking for a house like yours.

One thing to try is get a friend to call your EA and arrange a viewing. See how they get accommodated. You might be surprised at how some EAs act. At least in Dublin some are so bad that I've begun excluding any properties they advertise and I know I'm not alone in this fact.

Thanks Ryaner, Im organising to have this done tomorrow..

I got my friend to act as a prospective buyer as recommended, and glad to report that the response was very good. Auctioneer was very informative, anxious to sell and really pushed a viewing. So all is well there, an interesting exercise. I still want to sell asap though!

I got my friend to act as a prospective buyer as recommended, and glad to report that the response was very good. Auctioneer was very informative, anxious to sell and really pushed a viewing. So all is well there, an interesting exercise. I still want to sell asap though!

If the auctioneer is providing a good service and the house is still not selling then I'm afraid it's overpriced. Drop the price.

If the auctioneer is providing a good service and the house is still not selling then I'm afraid it's overpriced. Drop the price.

Yes, let's not overlook the obvious any longer. The market will yield a certain price based on current conditions. If your property is spending a long time on the market without attracting offers then it is overpriced. The market does not care and is not influenced by what price you would like, or what the current mortgage is, or how much the price has dropped already, etc.

You are mad selling at the bottom of the market IMO...People will smell the desperation...

When im buying on the proceeds surely this balances out?

Agreed.

If you are selling cheap and buying somewhere else cheap, then no harm done. Plus you will be living somewhere that you want to be. Go for it.

I recently sold a house, and what people are saying is true. I had to price it to sell, and it did. I got approx a dozen viewings, when many others in the surrounding area aren't getting a single view, becasue they are still overpriced.

Property in this country is not something that people feel confident about buying now, unless its priced so low that they can't resist.

With the big difference between the value and your mortgage, can you not take a big lump off the price to make it really attractive? I appreciate you have other debts but if you price it, they will come.

The true value of your home is the value that someone is willing to pay. It may be lower than €350,000. In your position, I'd ask three different estate agents (including the current one) to gove you a realistic estimate of what they would expect to sell your home at, for a quick sale. Tell your existing agent that you're considering moving the property to another. Ask the others if they have any customers on their books actively looking for a house like yours.

Now why didn't I think of that? Oh...hang on...:confused:

LDFerguson Think Steve008 is at the same on another thread i have just read .... whats with him !!!! He should just call himself copy & paste !!!

Back