Bad tiling Job

Kelb28

hi

Had some tiles put down on kitchen floor (Porclin) and was such a bad jod done - many tiles are not level (lipping - think thats what you call it). so disapointed as tiles were expensive and tiler charged 700 for 16sq yrd. looks awful, is there anyway of it been fixed without tiles coming up - can it be just re-grouted (thats what the tiler is planning on doing).

€43.75 per sq yard for porcelain...????? eek!!!

first thing i would say is get rid of this cowboy.....

i assume you have paid him ? this happened to my dad's house many years ago but the tiles were bog standard. my dad wasn't around during the day whilst the work was being done so when he came home and found quite a few tiles uneven, he took the screwdriver to them and pull them up much to the horror of the tiler when he called him back the next day ! no repairs, no money ! did you not see these errors before you paid him ? i dont think regrouting (hiding his mistakes) will work.

porcelain are supposed to be laid with as little jointing as possible, even none, therefore if this joker has left enough space between the tiles to attempt to re-grout... then he should be let no where near them..... it sounds like he didnt want to bother levelling the floor with either compound or a bolster and mallet

ye we did pay him - cash!i know was stupid of me to pay him - could kick myself. although he has offered to give us back the money. just so much hassle if have to take them up off the floor. is there any other way around this without having to take the tiles up off the floor?

if he is offering your money back then take it ! don't be soft on people like this.

Definitely take the money back and rip them all up. You'll end up tearing them up anyway at some point,a bad tiling job just looks worse with time.

A competent tile should be able to judge the condition of the floor and advise if it needs a screed or not. Simply placing a few tiles down flat and stepping on them will show how uneven the floor is. Screeding should always be part of the job or the job should not be performed until the floor has been screeded. Definitely take the monty back from this guy. Firstly his price was exorborant, tiling averages at €20 a yard. The adhesive for porclein is expensive, maybe allow €10 a yard. If he supplied it then factor that into the price and you are still being overcharged. If you supplied the guy is an out an out bandit.
Get the money back. You'll need it to get the job redone properly and it will teach this cowboy.

Definitely take the money back and rip them all up. You'll end up tearing them up anyway at some point,a bad tiling job just looks worse with time.

easier said than done... :confused:

they are down stairs re-grouting at them moment, so we will see what happens. fingers crossed. cant face ripping them up and paying another 1500 for new tiles!!

he gave the money back but would feel awfull giving them nothing at all.

Back