bad language by shop workers

C

car

Has bad language by shop attendants gotten worse or has it always been there?
In the last week, Tescos, supervalu and centra all seem to have workers, either on the checkouts or on the aisles, unable to have a conversation, without as loudly as possible putting strong swear words in completely oblivious to the fact theres customers around.
Maybe its always been there but Im only noticing it now. Should I ignore it?

If I was a shop worker, I'd be well p!ssed off too, considering the boredom of the job and the pay they receive.

Re: .

If I was a shop worker, I'd be well p!ssed off too

How does being p***ed off with your job equate to using bad language in front of customers?

> Should I ignore it?

If it offends you - no. Have you tried complaining to the people themselves or alternatively the store manager?

If you're offended by it then talking to the store manager queitly is the way to do things imo. You'll probably find that compalining to the staff themselves is very confrontational and not altogether a pleasant experience.

bad language from shop assistants

I agree. The level of service shown in Ireland from shop assistants is poxy. I’m back from the continent, and over there you are always greeted at the checkout by the assistant with a ‘Bon jour, monsieur’, a ‘Ca va?, monsieur’, and an ‘Au Revoir, monsieur’, etc. Nothing worse here than going into Tesco’s or elsewhere and hearing the assistants nattering on between themselves about their gynaecological problems. In fact, they shouldn’t be gossiping among themselves, but rather devoting their attention to the PAYING customer. It’s all symptomatic, not so much of the ‘dumbing down’ but rather, of the ‘numbing down’ of Irish society. (Please note that the above comments do not refer to the Chinese ladies who appear to be the epitome of modesty, decorum and good service). And Marcus says: ‘If I was a shop worker, . . .’. NO Marcus, it’s ‘If I WERE a shop worker’. If we can’t use good English ourselves how can we expect shop girls to express themselves correctly and without swearing?

bad language from shop assistants

> Please note that the above comments do not refer to the Chinese ladies who appear to be the epitome of modesty, decorum and good service

Ah - those inscrutable Chinese! :lol

Re: bad language from shop assistants

In all such cases, common courtesy dictates that you raise the problem directly with the person involved first, before you go to the manager/owner. They may have no idea of the impact they are having on you.

Yes - it could possibly get confrontational, but so what. Just smile sweetly - give them 100% eye contact - and ask for the manager at that point.

Thank you for the grammatical correction WSL.

I suppose that example, and also the example where you started your sentence with an "and", simply shows the quality of the Irish educational system.

Re: But, grammar is not always so simple

[broken link removed]

Marion :hat

Foul language

My personal experience of Irish people, in general, is that we are quite profane in our use of language, which often comes as a shock to visitors to our island who have an image of the Irish as intelligent, articulate, and friendly people.

I went into Liffey Valley recently with a South African friend, who was quite taken aback that many of the "customers" there seemed to think that a sentence wasn't fully complete without at least one expletive, typically the f word.

Its a real pity, that such foul mouthed amadáns can tarnish our reputation.

Foul language

> I’m back from the continent, and over there you are always greeted at the checkout by the assistant with a ‘Bon jour, monsieur’

WSL - seeing that we're correcting use of language, shouldn't that actually be "bonjour"... :\

That nice lady again.

I complained about one of our binmen using foul language on the street in DunLaoghaire Rathdown area, only to be told by the nice lady answering the phone that if it wasn't directed at a member of the public then it wasn't too bad. So long as it was among themselves.

francais

WSL,
you would not be greeted with a "ca va?" unless you knew the shop worker very well, bonjour is one word also. Go handy on others, we wouldn't like you taking over from Protocol.

Free food

The lady on the checkout in Super Value Blackrock was having a great conversation with her lady bag packer friend and completely ignoring me as a customer. As a result a number of special promotion items were scanned through at the wrong prices. I complained not to her but to her manager and I was given a complete refund on my purchases. And it's not the first time it has happened. Long may it continue until someone wakes up.

language, etc.

OK, maybe I was a bit unfair criticising Marcus on the use of the subjunctive, but, in relation to check-out assistants, the point I was making is that, based on my experience in France / Belgium, check-out assistants: (a) greet you when they are checking out your goods (b) will enquire if things are to your satisfaction (as they did in my local GB supermarket), and (c) will wish you well, look forward to your future custom, etc. Now, while I will fully admit that this can become a bit of a mantra, it still makes shopping a pleasant experience. The initial post by car is correct. When you go to a shop not only do you deserve to be served in such a way to show that your custom is valued but also that shop assistants or other staff members should not use foul language in your presence.

language, etc.

I know what you mean - in spite of being a bit of a cynic even the automatic "have a nice day" etc. used by service personnel in the US always left me with a certain warm fuzzy feeling... :)

Service

I think it has got worse since the plastic bag thing. Ever since it wasintroduced and given that they don't have to pack a bag for you, there's not a please or a thank you and overall service has diminished.

Saying that - our local superquin bag packers are very polite and friendly, as are the check out personnel. They converse betwen transactions!

Re: Service

Hi WSL,

Having lived in Brussels for over a year, my own shopping experience there was very different.

In my own local GB / Del Haize, you queued for ages, the check out girl didn't acknowledge you, she waited for you to pack your own bags, didn't take credit cards, and barked at you if you didn't have exact change !

I found shopping in Belgium to be horrible. Ireland isn't perfect, but I don't think Belgium should be our role model either !

Re: Service

> and barked at you if you didn't have exact change

Probably rabies.

Back