bad breath

You could say something like what where you eating for dinner ?but remember there is a good chance this person already knows they have bad breath,If you are not meeting them 7 days a week then I would leave well enough alone.

This person doesn't seem to be a close friend of the OP so I think if it was me - I'd prefer dodo's suggestion. If someone produced a bottle of mouthwash I'd be mortified :eek:

Maybe laugh and say something along the lines of 'were you eating garlic - here have some mints'

p.s. its not a smell from alcohol is it? E.g. Guinness can sometimes really give off a foul smell (not always but it can affect some people's breath)?

I find myself having cigarette breaks every five minutes just to get a bit of fresh air

Bit of a contradiction there. If you're having cigarette breaks every five minutes perhaps he thinks you smell of cigarettes and is too polite to say so.

IMHO if he and his girlfriend are happy enough, it doesn't both either of them and you would not like to upset him then leave well enough alone.

no messing, i don't mind a garlic based breath, you can handle it, but this comes from the depths and is like chemicals. i'd say its to do with this lads teeth more than anything else. i'm not sure gum, mints, or domestos would sort it long term

Maybe the 'chemical' smell is his mouthwash??;)

Diabetes can cause the breath to smell sickly sweet and chemically(?).

just a few answers to earlier posts.

this lad smokes and drinks guinness. my increased smkoing wouldn't bother the lad.

he's a friend but not a close personal friend. but i'd meet him and the gang a few times during the week.

he's not a sensitive person to date. i think he'd be able to handle it - but maybe from someone closer to him - ie the girlfriend

his teeth look like they need a bit of work alright - maybe its a dental problem.

thanks for all comments. I think i'll keep my mouth shut and hope he does the same.

definitely doesn't help but most of us (friends and myself) drink guinness and smoke and would not be at the same level as this breath.

Dont take the weight of the world upon your shoulders. Theres always someone insensitive enough to let him know about his bad breath in exactly the ways you are trying to avoid. What about his close family and closest friends ? Surely they must know and have told him without the usual worry about formal protocol which occurs when people aren't so close. Its' quite possible he knows he has bad breath but hasnt found a solution for it yet. In which case you reminding him will only upset him and make his mental state worse and possibly make you wish you had said nothing.

Yes, this may be the best option. He may know but not realise how bad things are. Or may be too embarassed to seek help. On the medical side ...... how come air we breathe in can become foul in seconds? After all, we all have the same mechanisms from the lips to the lungs. :confused: I understand the bit about 'seepage' from behind an implant etc. but if it is from the tummy ....... I thought there was a type of non-return valve that God had inserted to stop exactly this kind of thing.

I thought there was a type of non-return valve that *God* had inserted to stop exactly this kind of thing.

No, no, the Flying Spaghetti Monster!!! :D

There is however a cashier at my local Superquinn that everyone avoids.....for the 3 years that I've been using it, her breath stinks up a 5 metre radius. I can't believe that nobody has mentioned it to her...or that she's wonderred why she has the shortest queues..

Some years ago, the very funny and talented Russ Abbot sang a song called "Smelly Feet". 'Twas hilarious ....... and it gave the upside of having such a problem etc. It was sung to the tune of "Lucky Lips" made famous by Ms. C Richards.

Apparently not. That's why it was called Russ Abbot's MADHOUSE. I may be stuck in a bit of a timewarp here. The only thing I can deduce is that you are younger than the wisdom of your posts reflect.:)

Back