Bad attitude at Ulster Bank

I have asked for drafts from banks quite often and I have never had this kind of questioning from UB or any other bank. Was your opening pitch something in the line of ' I have had enough of your bank. I want to withdraw all my money and close the account. Make me out a draft this instance' ?
Nope, I open by saying as little as possible and sticking to the facts:
"I'd like a draft for 20k from my current account made out to myself please. Here are my account details and ID"

The teller then starts asking what the draft is for. In fairness to them it seems to be UB policy as on one occasion I was shown a form that they have to fill in which includes a section on the reason for the draft.

If I answer (truthfully) that it is for opening an account in another institution, I get a sales pitch and judging by them repeating their pitch over and over, they don't seem to get the message when I say I'm not interested. BTW during my latest grilling it wasn't as though I was clearing all my money out of UB - I still had a nice 5 figure sum with them between my current account and a fixed term deposit account yet they still made a fuss about me taking 10k out of my current account.

On one occasion the reason for a draft was I was buying a car, I didn't get a sales pitch but was grilled on the details of the car down to the make, model, colour and where I was buying it. Maybe she was just interested/nosy but it did cross my mind that she didn't believe my reason and suspected that I was moving money to another institution!

On one occasion the reason for a draft was I was buying a car, I didn't get a sales pitch but was grilled on the details of the car down to the make, model, colour and where I was buying it. Maybe she was just interested/nosy but it did cross my mind that she didn't believe my reason and suspected that I was moving money to another institution!

A draft is written on the bank's own account and as such the banks now need to be a lot more careful about issuing them, as they are often used in money laundering. It is not unknown for the money launderer to pay people to go into banks and get a draft for a couple of thousand Euro at a time. In fact here in Switzerland, banks no longer issue drafts at all, because of the issues involved. I would not at be surprised if this spread to the rest of Europe as well.

Jim2007

On one occasion I made the major error of using the wrong terminology when I asked the cashier to "put" the money I had with me into my account, the response was an irritated:
"you mean you want to LODGE the money do you"

I had the exact same experience in Ulster Bank just a few weeks ago, the teller actually waited 'til I said 'Yes, I want to lodge it.' Even though I already had a credit book with me, had it in front of them with the money, filled out and ready for stamping!

I feel the attitude at most banks have slided not just Ulster.

I remember a full on shouting match between a customer and a bank clerk at one of the BIG TWO. It was embarrasing for all who had to witness it. The customer was shouted down and was in my opinion being provoked.

Another time as a practical joke a junior clerk blasted music from a speaker system for all and sundry to hear. This was laughed at by senior clerks and customers objections went unheard!

It's a long time since banks have treated customers with any respect.

Back