Back to Education Allowance

S

skygem

Well, the CAO form has gone in, and hopefully I'll get on my chosen 3rd Level course. I am currently on the dole and hope to get the BTEA for college. I am on a waiting list for a FAS course, in order to keep myself qualified to receive the BTEA. However, it looks as though that course won't start for a few months. Has anyone any experience of this? Will the Social hassle me to get a job over the next while? By the way, I continue to satisfy the looking for work requirement but have had no luck. Any info much appreciated.

By the time the college course starts, I should be unemployed for the required amount of time. The worry is that they will cut me off in the meantime

How Can You Be Genuinely Seeking Work If You Are Holding Out To Go On Btea. If You Get This Fas Course Will You Leave It Early To Go To College And Take A Place Of Someone Else Who Would Of Completed It?

How Can You Be Genuinely Seeking Work If You Are Holding Out To Go On Btea. If You Get This Fas Course Will You Leave It Early To Go To College And Take A Place Of Someone Else Who Would Of Completed It?

Tomred

Yes of course I'll take this course, and leave it if needs be. That by the way, is allowed. I cannot afford to go to college without the BTEA.

The whole idea of BTEA is to help people who are out of work further their education, thus increasing their chances of getting off welfare payments. In my experience, SW take a positive view if somebody is aiming to apply for BTEA. remember too that the qualification period allows for breaks of up to three months off benefits. In other words, if you signed on Jun 2006, signed off June 07, signed back Aug 07 until course start Sep 07, the period is considered aas 14 months, not 2 months. You have to be signing on at the time of the course starting to get BTEA though.

skygem, i feel it would be wrong of you to take the fas course and not complete it, as you would prevent someone else going on it. If you do leave a fas course early you could have your claim for jobseekers disallowed. I feel you are only looking for advice on how to stay on jobseekers until your college course starts.

Back