Back to Education Allowance and JB

S

Salar

I have just been made redundant and was thinking of applying for the BTEA scheme for a 3rd level college course in September, for a year only. I know I am only entitled to JB for a year but I was wondering if the JB entitlement is suspended while I do the course or is the years JB entitlement eaten up while I am in college. I worked in construction and I dont see that getting better any time soon.

Your JB is frozen while on BTEA. You can resume your JB when college course ends.

There's a minimum time you have to claim JB before being eligible for Back to Education Allowance - will you meet that by September?

From the information on the SW website, you must be signing on for a minimum of 12 months (9 months in certain circumstances) before being eligible for Back to Education Allowance 3rd level option.

Back to Education Allowance

Last edited:
If the OP was awarded statutory redundancy he/she can access BTEA immediately. The 9/12 month rule does not apply in that event.

Good to know, thanks milic. It's on the page I linked to, but it's included as a bit of an afterthought by the looks of it!

Could I please post a question on this topic:
A friend of mine worked for all of 2007 contracting has not worked since -(Dec'07). He was told by Social Welfare that he was not entitled to Job S B as he did not have any contributions in 2006 which was the relevant year . He has just found out that he could have been claiming Job S B since Jan 2009 from the contricutions he made in 2007 and he was unaware of this. He has applied for a one year course in college and he hopes to start in October so had he known he was entitled to claim Job S B since Jan of this year, would he be able to claim the Back to Education Allow.? When he first applied for the Job SB the Social welfare told him that he would not be entitled to anything and that there was no point signing on for "Credits" but I now think that had he signed on for credits then he would be in a much better position now. Hind sight is great!. Is there any way he could make some kind of a case to sort this out? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

He should contact his local SW office as soon as possible and explain the situation. They will decide on his entitlements and what back-dating he may be eligible for.

Hopefully he is going to call to the S/Welfare and take it from there. I have had a look at the the S/W site and I do not think the allowance is given if it is a Post Grad Course (unless it is a teaching one)! He was hoping to do an IT Post Grad course.

Back