Back in the tax net because I am in receipt of pension.

Tintagel

I have recently reached the age of 66 and qualify for the state pension. I have also recently started receiving a pension from my former employer that I worked for, over 10 years ago.

My combined income from these is circa €32,500. My wife is on illness benefit of circa €10k.

We are jointly assessed for tax.

Up to this we were not paying tax as I had nil income and she was on illness benefit. As we are now back paying tax I have a few questions.

When I started receiving my pensions I was put on Emergency Tax. As a result a large amount of tax was taken from me. I thought that did would sort itself out over a few months but it seems I am on what is known as a Week 1 for tax purposes.

I rang the tax office and I was told that I should remain on a Week 1. I am not sure why this would be the case. Any ideas?

It seems that in order to get back my over payment of tax I have to wait until the end of the year, complete a form and wait for a refund. Can I not get this back now by moving from a Week 1 basis?

When should I submit my Form 11. Back in the day it was after April 5th?

Thanks

The tax year now runs from 1st Jan to 31st Dec - it changed in 2002

You can submit a Form 11 online quite soon after Jan 1st

Indeed, you can submit it on the 1st, which I've done for the last five years ... except this year when for some reason they didn't make it available online until the 2nd.

Thanks. Any reason do you think the tax office suggested I remain taxed on a Week 1 basis?

Thanks. Any reason do you think the tax office suggested I remain taxed on a Week 1 basis?

Sometimes week-one basis is applied to defer an undercharge.

The increase in your income during the year might have resulted in a cumulative undercharge under the PAYE system.

The tax year now runs from 1st Jan to 31st Dec - it changed in 2002

You can submit a Form 11 online quite soon after Jan 1st

Looking at the newspapers today it is saying that tax returns have to be in by next week? Is this for PAYE or self employed or what? Thanks

Back