B&Q for Bathroom Suites?

UnaS

In middle of building a new house and am currently shopping around for bathroom suites.....some bathroom shops are very expensive..... has anyone got their bathrooms from B&Q? If so, would you recommend them?

Hi UnaS,

We have got our bathroom suite there. Had no problems at all with it or any of the bits that were needed to go with it. We also replaced our en-suite sink and pedastel and it only cost €63 which was very reasonable. Always handy to try and hang on for one of their sales, not sure if the bathroom one is still on I think it was 30% off, you should check with them.

BTW - I have no affiliation with B&Q just a happy customer.

We redocorated our bathroom and got suite off them, very reasonable compared to others, and suite contained all the bits and bobs that are needed.

Plumber had no complaints about it either when installing.

Check out [broken link removed] Have got stuff there and found them very helpful. Small firm but good selection and great prices

Be careful with the stuff you are buying there . A lot of it is imported from France ( nothing wrong with that) but the water pressure on the continent is working at a higher pressure than what we have here so you may need to spend money on a pump to get adequate pressure at the taps. I brought the ware in from France when I was building but I knew about the water pressure difference & I was putting the showers on a pump to get pressure in any case so we just put everything on the pump ( it pumps both hot & cold at the same pressure). I was in a house the other day where they bought that ware but when the plumber arrived he wasn't happy with the way the toilet was filling so slowly because of the poor water pressure in the house that they sent the whole lot back .

I'm not sure how relevant this is but I'd also be a little concerned that it may be difficult to source spare parts for sanitary ware sourced from outside this country or the UK. It mightn't present as a problem for a few years but eventually things wear out and need replacement; it's great to know your local hardware store or plumber's merchant has that 20 cent seal or washer in stock. Just something to bear in mind.

In middle of building a new house and am currently shopping around for bathroom suites.....some bathroom shops are very expensive..... has anyone got their bathrooms from B&Q? If so, would you recommend them?

I got a new bathroom in a few weeks ago, details available on this site.
I'd considered many places, and did a comprehensive search of this site.

In terms of installation and aftersale service B&Q featured very poorly. In terms of quality, I dunno. That was the impression I got on this site, no more no less.

Incidentally, the installation and aftersale service was number one priority for me, therefore B&Q were non-runners for me.

Also, I saw somewhere that had them down for a 10% sale, around now. Small discount, but given the price of a bathroom, it could be worth a few ton.

I recently purchased all my bathroom, ensuite etc from MFI in Lisburn (Sprucefield Shopping Centre). I also purchased my kitchen/appliances and Utility room with them.
http://www.mfi.co.uk/
Found them to be the cheapest and most helpful. Brought our plans of our house with us and they did a 3D effect of kitchen/bathroom so we could see what it would look like. They have no problem delivering in the South. A few people i know recommended them to me. I tried B & Q and found them to be a lot more expensive. They were only 1/2 drive from Newry. We showed our plumber the bathroom and he has also stated to us that he has no problem fitting them (i.e. northern fittings).

We bought a bathroom suite in B & Q a little over a year ago and a few things worth mentioning:

1. Toilet cistern does not have a conventional ball cock - the system in use is a plastic lever type, there is a very small flow of water into the bowl at all times - tries numerous adjustments to no avail - very annoying - means that there is a constant drain and drip into the attic tank - also not very environmentally friendly!
2. Sink stopper - one of those that pops up when you push a little lever at the back - not very good - again tried adjusting, but either gap too small to let water drain at any normal speed when open, or else when 'closed' is not fully closed so water drains out of sink slowly.
3. Bath - again the drain does not appear to have a screw out part to clean hairs etc out - so not ideal.

Having ssaid all the abvove it was a very cheap suite - but given the cost of installing a part of the overall cost, if it was back agian I would go for a slighlty more expensive option - or at least ask a few questions about the parts mentioned above.

...there is a very small flow of water into the bowl at all times...
This will leave an ugly residue over time. Surely there's some way to stop this leaking?

2. Sink stopper - one of those that pops up when you push a little lever at the back - not very good - again tried adjusting, but either gap too small to let water drain at any normal speed when open, or else when 'closed' is not fully closed so water drains out of sink slowly.
I hate those bloody things. First saw them on visits to the US in the 80ies, back when Ireland was a backward place. Now I realise they're crap. Lever's always too fiddly and in an awkward place.
As for the slow outflow, it's a nightmare if you've shaved and are trying to get the stubble to wash away. You need a good flow to wash it down fast, otherwise the stubble is clinging to the sink.

Mine has a new type I haven't seen before. You press the stopper itself. If it's open, press it and it closes, and vice-versa. Nifty but I'm wondering how durable it will be over time.

Having ssaid all the abvove it was a very cheap suite -
You pay for what you get. Ideal for a rental property but if it's your residence...

can anyone recommend a place in cork to buy a bathroom suite,im looking for something reasonable.

I'm not in Cork, but you could do the same thing as I did in Dublin, i.e. pop in to Tubs & Tiles and see what you like, note the codes, and then head over to your nearest Heatmerchants (sister company) and buy the stuff far more cheaply. This assumes that you either have a plumber or are able to fit the suite yourself.

after sale service, delivery service and overall basic communication between their staff members and with their customers from B&Q is shocking. I still shop there for buying things off the shelf but wouldn't order anything from them that requires delivery etc ever again. I don't know if is a cost saving measure that stops them from lifting the phone to return several calls or what!

Wouldn't go back to B&Q for bathroom suites-bought some stuff there 3yrs ago and since then all the 'guts' of the toilets have had to be replaced, am building again at the moment but wouldn't go near B&Q this time even though they do seem cheap again I agree you get what you pay for.

Back