AXA won't insure unoccupied house

@grenzgebiet

You may be overthinking this here. There are about two million house insurance policies in Ireland and insurance companies have zero idea who is sleeping under any roof on any night.

In the unlikely event of a claim, you may need to provide a reasonable amount of evidence that you have complied with the terms and conditions of your policy.

As Executor I had to get unoccupied house insurance, existing insurer Allianz would renew cover, but for fire only. No water damage, burglary, public liability, nothing but fire would be covered.

Googling ‘’unoccupied house insurance’’ threw up several who offer this cover.

I could not reasonably meet the conditions that most required. Some wanted a constant heat maintained, others wanted the entire water and heating systems drained, and many other specific requirements around window / door locks, electrics, security systems etc.

The only t&c’s I could meet were with Arachas and cost around €850 for 12 months cover.

When the house was sold, there was no problem then cancelling the policy and getting a full refund for the unused 5 months.

Back