AXA won't insure unoccupied house

grenzgebiet

Just a warning to potential customers:
AXA refuse to insure houses which are unoccupied.
Just discovered that since I am responsible for a house which has just gone through probate.
Anyone else in the same position may need to think about changing Insurance Providers.

Was in a similar situation 2 years ago. Although my provider did provide cover they said we had to take a new policy out for an unoccupied dwelling. Policy tripled!

Get cover through a broker - presumably this will only be for a short period

I stay overnight once a week - but they wouldn't accept that.
Really shoddy behaviour from AXA - the place has been insured with them for over twenty years.
I was only using AXA as the house had been insured with them by a deceased family member until recently.
I'll try my own insurance provider next, then, as jpd suggested, a broker.

Guess it's just what everyone keeps saying about insurance providers whether health insurance or house insurance or whatever - there's no such thing as loyalty on their behalf so we should have no compunctions when it comes to switching!

The restruction is unoccupied for 30 consecutive days.
Be careful, there is a 30 - 35 day exclusion that applies on general household policies. It does not mean you only have to occupy a property a day or two a month to maintain cover, it is intended to allow them refuse cover if something happens after being away from home for an extended period.

Most general policies require you to declare that the property is your main private dwelling, and being there one weekend a month would not satisfy that clause.

So out of interest - what is the insurance situation for a holiday home in Ireland?
Someplace where you might just go for the weekend.
Surely that can be insured for fire, water damage etc?

So out of interest - what is the situation for a holiday home in Ireland?
Someplace where you might just go for the weekend etc?
You purchase "holiday home" insurance. It's a specific product, with specific cover and conditions. Even Axa provide it.

I've just been googling that - might be the answer, thank you.
The place will be occupied once a week, which hopefully qualifies it for Holiday Home usage.

@grenzgebiet did AXA outright refuse to insure, or did they say a normal house policy won't provide cover?
If I was in your shoes, I'd just call a broker and ask them to sort it. Otherwise you could buy something that you think works, and you'll only really know if you have cover if you have to make a claim.

Thanks Red Onion, think you're right.
Axa - on the phone the rep said I would need a new policy and they would not cover an unoccupied house.
I hadn't thought about classing it as a holiday home at that point.
I'll definitely get a broker to sort - but I won't be going back to Axa!

Sorry for jumping in with a different but related question, but I am putting my house on the market this week after letting it for a number of years - my tenant gave notice. I hope to sell quickly but it's till going to take a few months at least.
I currently have landlord insurance, is there another type of insurance that will cover this scenario where the house will for all intents be unoccupied, but not unattended, while on the market?

What happens if someone has to go into hospital for two months and there is an event e.g an escape of water ? If an adult child of the policy holder occupies the house at least one night a week, is that sufficient ? How do you prove occupancy ?

I currently have landlord insurance, is there another type of insurance that will cover this scenario where the house will for all intents be unoccupied, but not unattended, while on the market?
You should contact your insurer or broker to discuss. Typical policies start adding exclusions once the house has been unoccupied for a certain number of days, for example water damage from a plumbing leak. But they will continue to provide fire cover.

This isn't exclusive to Axa. There is an increased risk with an unoccupied house. Any damage that is done may go unnoticed for weeks/ months and the cost of repair will be much higher than if it was occupied and the damage was noticed immediately. Burst pipes is the most obvious example.

Back