AXA home insurance and customer support

ClubMan

I have had my home/contents insurance with AXA for years and was happy enough with them and the premium.
This year I wanted to tweak the buildings cover up (by more than their indexation) and the contents cover down (as I was over insured).
But it seems that AXA make it very difficult to contact them.
I tried calling but every time they warned me that they were very busy and the hold times would be long.
Annoyingly they suggested that I could probably do what I needed online.
I couldn't because the only option online was to pay the renewal premium - no option to make any changes.
No web chat option on their website.
I was going to pop into town at lunchtime to visit their office but they close for lunch and don't open at the weekend.
I did find a form buried on their website for contacting them but after submitting my comments I got no reply.
So I gave up, shopped around online, found that Quote Devil offered me the most competitive premium for my cover needs (via Zurich) and I went with them instead.
I really don't understand why so many companies make it so difficult for customers to get in contact and end up irritating them so much that they walk?

That was one reason I'd stayed with Allianz rather than saving a few euro (although this year Zurich were significantly cheaper so I jumped). I liked the MyAllianz portal and when I did need to phone it was easy to get through to them.
I've had bad experience before contacting insurance companies. What should have taken 10 minutes to sort became days.

But it seems that AXA make it very difficult to contact them.
I had similar after moving home recently. The phone system option to amend an existing policy had a 60 minute wait time. I'll bet if I opted for the new quote option I'd have been put straight through.

The Central Bank had a bee in their bonnet about differential pricing for new v existing customers.
They should be monitoring wait times also to make sure they are equal...

I switched from AVIVA to AXA this year. Had no problem getting thru as a new customer, and back on to do an amendment, and that was in the height of the pandemic.

AXA replied to my complaint promising that somebody would call me to discuss the matter. I asked them not to bother as there's nothing further to discuss because I had already explained the matter in full and had gone elsewhere for cover.

Last edited:
Back