Avourwen in Drogheda.

Danmo

I am considering buying in Avourwen in Drogheda. I am just a little concerned that I might be a little isolated. It looks like it will take a while for this estate to be finished and the retail units etc. Has anyone bought there/know anyone who has bought there? I would be grateful for any feedback, positive, negative or otherwise! Thanks:)

Re: Avourwen

Hi
I know you are not supposed to 'bump' your own posts and I think this has been discussed before but I would like some feedback....
I currently live in Stamullen (renting) and am looking to buy. I can have a terraced house in Stamullen which I like, or go ten minutes up the road (via toll!) and have a brand spanking new 3 bed semi in Avourwen, Drogheda for 10K less. The appeal of a new house with no stamp duty is big. However I am afraid I will be isolated. Avourwen is 1 mile from Drogheda town so there's no pub or shop in walking distance. I like the village atmosphere in Stamullen but don't really have a rip roaring social life atm anyway and I am sure I would get to know people in Drogheda. If I go out currently I stay with friends etc. Price is a big factor. I haven't a lot to play with. Is it 'location location' or would you go with a better quality but cheaper house a bit further away?
-D

I know you are not supposed to 'bump' your own posts and I think this has been discussed before but I would like some feedback....

Perhaps if you read posting guideline numbers 2 & 4?

Danmo, my one concern here is that the estate still looks like a building site (haven't been in the estate but just from the road, this is how is looks). I don't know how many of the properties have been sold, but I would be concerned in case the builder can't sell them in the current climate, or the builder doesn't have enough money to finish off the housing estate. Would you be left living in a building site for years with very few neighbours? For this reason, I would prefer to buy in an established estate - just my opinion!

Also, there is supposed to be a new road from the estate linking up with the Beamore Road (up beside Meadowview), through Rosevale. Not sure if this is still the plan - it might make the estate more accessible if you were walking into the town or train station......

Hi Danmo

I have a good friend that has just moved into one of the duplex units in Avourwen. The house itself is really nice but I would also have reservations about the completion of the estate. I am not sure if it bothers you being away from the town - its a good 25 minute walk I would imagine (probably only 5-10 minutes by car). A car would be essential, although there is a pub, great local shop, petrol station, chip shop etc all within 5 minutes walk so you're not totally out in the middle of nowhere. Once completed it would be a nice estate but its your call if you want to wait that long!!

Thanks to you both for your responses. They are beautiful houses but I have reservations myself about how long the estate will take to get finished and retail units etc up and running......
I also heard a rumour from a friend that the new road the builders are talking about has been blocked by the NRA....I don't know if that's true obviously but I think I would prefer somewhere more established....

Hi Danmo,

Im just wondering if you have made up your mind about the houses in Avourwen? I went to view one last week and was impressed with the houses but it still looks like a building site and I was told the builder doesnt intend to start rebuilding until the weather gets better but I dont think that is the case! Have you heard any more?

Saw this estate driving by and the houses look really nice. What I don't understand is the reasoning behind buying "a brand spaking new house". As a first time buyer you wouldn't be paying extra tax on a second hand property in this price range anyway. We bought a second hand " new" house some years ago and as a bonus
...all the wooden floors were down
....it was fully arlarmed
...all the wooden blinds were in
... white goods were included
...there was a garden shed
...they'd put in expensive interior doors
...there were extra wardrobes, extra sockets and lots of other bonuses.
so we 'saved' around 10 grand and all we had to do was paint the walls a colour we liked. Other people who bought brand spanking new smaller homes actually paid a lot more than we did and they had a lot more expense doing all the extras from scratch. It was only afterwards that they coped on to this. I would defo look for a well kept older house that is decorated with floors and doors and extras that you like...theres loads of them...don't be crazy!!

Hi

I don't understand your post - Avourwen = meaningful title. Would like to know translation if you wouldn't mind replying?

Saw the showhouses a month or so ago and was very impressed. Standard of finishing much better than other houses I've viewed. I think if you're patient (and when - hopefully soon - things start to pick up again), it'll be worth the wait. The prices have dropped quite significantly and I'm sure if you ask nicely (!!??), you might get a few "extras" thrown in. I was told that I'd have to get the floors tiled / carpeted etc myself but wardrobes, oak (veneer?) doors, patio, turf, fencing, built-in multimedia centre (thing - not entirely sure what that was to be frank) would be included. One of the good things about a brand new home is the 10 year bond guarantee - this is a huge thing when you're buying your first home.

I don't suppose there is much point in the builder continuing to build if many people are uneasy to buy ... hopefully the new shortcut to the train station won't be blocked but it's no real hardship if that is the case.

Hi

I don't understand your post - Avourwen = meaningful title. Would like to know translation if you wouldn't mind replying?

Saw the showhouses a month or so ago and was very impressed. Standard of finishing much better than other houses I've viewed. I think if you're patient (and when - hopefully soon - things start to pick up again), it'll be worth the wait. The prices have dropped quite significantly and I'm sure if you ask nicely (!!??), you might get a few "extras" thrown in. I was told that I'd have to get the floors tiled / carpeted etc myself but wardrobes, oak (veneer?) doors, patio, turf, fencing, built-in multimedia centre (thing - not entirely sure what that was to be frank) would be included. One of the good things about a brand new home is the 10 year bond guarantee - this is a huge thing when you're buying your first home.

I don't suppose there is much point in the builder continuing to build if many people are uneasy to buy ... hopefully the new shortcut to the train station won't be blocked but it's no real hardship if that is the case.

Hi
I was up in Avourwen last week, was speaking to nice lady there who told me that there is a new launch of houses coming up mid september, they have built 4 of these already and seems to be plenty of activity on site when I went into it during the week again to have a look round, she told me that the next batch of houses will all be tiled and floored (carpets wooden floors etc.) bathrooms will be tiled also and that the surround sound system is not in these houses, they will instead have solar panels, which I think makes much more sense than a sound system, I personally would rather save money on bills than have music all over the house!!!! Seems the prices are pretty good too, its a nice estate well finished houses and after speaking to a resident up there this week (said it was quiet and she has really nice neighbours) am seriously considering buying one of the new launch

Back