Avoiding CGT on sale of Investment property

theoaks

My investment property is currently occupied by a tenant who has indicated that he may move out sometime this year. If I move into the house from my PPR and then sell the house next year,would this exempt me from paying CGT on the proceeeds of the sale

No. The CGT exemption is apportioned over the time it was your PPR. So if you occupied it for one year and rented it for 9, 1/10th of the gain would be exempt.

Brendan

is it possible to move out of ireland to a country where there is no cgt on investment property disposal ,for a period of 6 months then sell it.if your house was selling for 500k ,it would be worth it ,for 100k saving ?anyone know of such countries ;) latvia,malta

is it possible to move out of ireland to a country where there is no cgt on investment property disposal ,for a period of 6 months then sell it.if your house was selling for 500k ,it would be worth it ,for 100k saving ?anyone know of such countries ;) latvia,malta

No, you must be living outside of the state for more than 3 years to be deemed non resident here and therefor exempt from CGT. Wouldn't really matter though because land in the state is always liable to CGT, regardless of residence.

Think the OP will just have to pay up.

Back