Irish Life Health Aviva/Vhi/Quinn : Where is the catch?

bacchus

I am looking into renewing health insurance for 2 adults + 2 children.
Not really interested in getting money back on GP fees, mainly interested in covers for hospitals.

As far as i can make it, the following 3 plans are fairly similar:
Aviva Level2 Hospital €1750
VHI Plan B Option €2409
Quinn Essential Plus €2298

Where is the catch with Aviva being €600 cheaper?

The difference may lie in the differing policy excess applied in each case. Have you read the key post: How to cut 10% off your Health premium with a phone call:- Corporate Plans ?

I recently used the services of Dermot Goode, mentioned in Slim's post in that thread, and found him excellent, particularly from the point of view of venturing useful information where the insurance companies own reps will otherwise wait for you to 'ask the right questions'. I have no connection with him other than as a satisfied customer.

Looking at the comparisons on the HIA website, it seems that the children prices are €200 less (each) than the most expensive child rate. I'm not sure if there's a child rate offer on with Aviva, but they're only charging €95 per child.

Benefit wise, they seem broadly similar. The out-patient cover on Aviva is minimal, but (a) that suits you, and (b), the other products have higher excesses anyway.

Here's a link to the three side by side - [broken link removed]

check out the hia site!

check out the hia site! i saved almost a grand!
we were on plan B option. 4 adults, 2 are over 50 and 1 student.
our renewal cost was about 4800euro!
went online, checked the HIA site to see better plans offered. We've been with VHI for years and we have claim hospital costs off them no problem so i wanted to stay with them.We nevered claim GP fees because the excess was very high on this plan.
Found out the Company plan extra lv3 was cheaper.
So i called VHI. At first the lady try to sell me lower plans for the younger adults and student(One Plan). But we can't claim GP fees.

So i asked about the company plan and she was abit surprised i asked! But she told me very honestly that this plan is cheaper, have better hospital plans, AND the excess for outpatient is just 1euro!

so we finally we went for 2 older adults on Company Plan extra lv3 and the rest Company Extra lv 1.

now its 3846euro. with better coverage as well

You could also look at mixing and matching plans. For example Aviva are currently allowing free kids cover for hospital plan 1. You could take Plan two for the adults and plan 1 for the kids abd save a lot more (level 2 is possibly of less benefit to children as their are no hi-tech kids hospitals).

www.powerinsurances.ie

Back