aviva life health check

Porter

Hi there. I applied for income protection policy via my broker. AVIVA had the cheapest policy. I'm in my early 30s, no medical conditions, never been to a doctor, normal BMI, non-smoker. I got a text from AVIVIA saying a nurse would ring to arrange a health check.
My fiancee applied also and with almost exactly the same questionnaire filled out except she is female. She has had her policy enacted without a health check.
Does anyone know what this entails? I'm terrified of needles and to be honest if it involves bloods I wouldn't be too keen on going through with it. Bit annoyed as I can't even remember being sick as a child.
We were both classed as 'Class 1' in terms of occupation if that helps.

It's possible if you are earning above a certain amount and so are looking for a high protection amount, they automatically send you for this to cover themselves from an underwriting perspective.

Looking at online searches e.g. charter medical, and blood tests are showing up as part of their medical checks.

We actually earn the same but the premium quoted is slightly higher for me, the broker said that's because I am a man.

Are you the same age? Did you tick any boxes yes on the questionnaire?

The nurse medical is fine. Height, weight, questions about medical history. It replaces writing out to your GP for a medical report. Doing the nurse medical is cheaper and they get more complete information.

No needles unless they told you specifically they want a blood test.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

...by the way, cheapest isn't always best when it comes to income protection. Some of the policies are absolute muck, full of hidden terms and conditions.

The Aviva policy is pretty comprehensive though.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Thanks SBarrett, didn't tick yes to a thing. Same age as fiancee. Don't have a GP as have never been ill so maybe that is why?

Thanks SBarrett, didn't tick yes to a thing. Same age as fiancee. Don't have a GP as have never been ill so maybe that is why?
Yeah, they don’t like if there’s no medical history of any sorts. Not as much an issue with females apparently though.

Yeah, they don’t like if there’s no medical history of any sorts. Not as much an issue with females apparently though.

On the contrary, they love it if you have no medical history, it's easier to underwrite. But if you ticked yes to a medical question and have no GP for them to follow up with, they have to check it out themselves. It is rare for a woman not to have a GP.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

To follow up the nurse said it is for a urine test and weight and height. She was really nice. no bloods - wahoo! What is the urine for? I looked it up and maybe for diabetes? my fiancee was a nurse now a doctor and she reckons for drugs!! :D

Back