Irish Life Health aviva level 2 hospital cover -maternity cover

kim

Hi
Just wondering if anyone used this cover when pregnant and how good is it? I am 6 weeks along and have already been for a scan, they asked me when I went into the hospital what insurance cover I had and I said 'Aviva' they didnt ask what plan, so are they assuming that I am going private? my friend works in VHI and she said she would not use her health insurance for maternity cover because you will end up paying a fortune for consultants and that I would be better off going public? has anyone any advice? the plan I am on is level 2 hospital, I was under the impression that I would be covered for everything in a public hospital, im so confused, I dont want a huge bill at the end of this?

Im attending a public hospital at the moment and will continue to do so, Id like a private room but I dont think ill get one

http://www.avivahealth.ie/member-info/maternity-benefits-guide/

You could still get a private room in a public hospital without having to pay for a private consultant.

I dont know what hospital the OP is attending, but the three Dublin Maternity hospitals do not allow public patients to book a private room.

If you are a private patient of a consultant, Aviva will pay for the room and the cost associated with the birth, but notthe consultant fee which will be around 3K - 4K in Dublin, dont know about the rest of the country.

If you have already attended the public clinic in the hospital then you are a public patient. You need to book in with a consultant to be a private patient, and you have not done that.

It would appear that the OP has the insurance cover for a private room in a public hospital. Would she get a private room in front of another private patient who is attending a consultant in a private capacity though ?

She hasn't a hope of getting a private room unless she has booked in for private consultant care. Even then, private rooms can not be guaranteed if there is a high demand. The 'private room in a public hospital' rule really doesn't apply in maternity hospitals.

Back