Aviva Free Travel Insurance offer.....not available.

Odea

According to the Aviva Website if you have two policies with the company, car and home insurance you can avail of free European travel insurance with the company.

https://services.aviva.ie/MyAviva/Rewards

My wife has her car insured in her name with Aviva with me as a named driver.

Our Home Insurance policy is in joint names with me as the first named on the policy.

When I apply for the Free travel Insurance online I am being given this message

"Motor policy and home policy do not belong to the same customer.
Please check your policy details and try again."

When I contacted Aviva I was told to ring Chubb Insurance the underwriters of the Travel Insurance.

Anybody else being fobbed off?

You will find that the position of the names on your policies matters.

Your wife's car insurance is in her name.

Your joint house insurance is in both names but you are the first named. If your joint house insurance policy had your wife as the first named it would have picked it up.

I would have thought that the IT department in Aviva could have sorted this out. After all they have two policies in your wife's name at the end of the day.

Not great.

They really don't go out of their way to let people know that you can get Free travel insurance if you have a car and home policy with them. Even on renewal they don't include a flyer with their renewals.

It appears that it is mainly geared toward NEW customers who would be looking at their website rather than postal renewal forms.

You do not have a car insurance policy with the company. Being a named driver means that the policy holder (your wife) has contracted with the insurance company to cover you on their policy. Your wife should qualify as she holds the two policies, where as you only hold a single policy - the household one.

You do not have a car insurance policy with the company. Being a named driver means that the policy holder (your wife) has contracted with the insurance company to cover you on their policy. Your wife should qualify as she holds the two policies, where as you only hold a single policy - the household one.

Completely incorrect. Here is an update.

I made a complaint and it was dealt with over the course of a day. A couple of phone calls and I was told that we had two "household" policies with the company. As husband and wife we both were entitled to the free travel insurance. O.K. Jim.

As a slight aside on this issue, I have 2 policies with Aviva, house, and motor, and therefore am eligible for the free cover, but I already have cover with an annual policy with VHI. I didn't avail of the offer, as in the event of a claim, I would be doubly insured, and there would be potential problems with any claims.

in the event of a claim, I would be doubly insured, and there would be potential problems with any claims.

What problems? Being doubly insured means that both insurers share the claim, no problem at all for you as policyholder/claimant.

The Aviva policy is for European Travel only. I think the VHI policy is for world travel?

Belt and Braces.

in the event of a claim, I would be doubly insured, and there would be potential problems with any claims.

What problems? Being doubly insured means that both insurers share the claim, no problem at all for you as policyholder/claimant.
I would think it's awkward, am I wrong? VHI is world Odea, but that would include Europe.

Back