Aviva don't insure Hearing Aids.

Bronco Lane

I rang Aviva today to arrange All Risks cover on a new first time set of hearing aids for my wife. Cost €2700.

We have our house insurance plus two cars with them for many years. Only to be told that they don't insure hearing aids.

Very disappointed. Looks I will be looking elsewhere for cover when my various insurances fall due.

Doe anyone else have all risks cover on their hearing aids from any other company.......and approximate cost.

Thanks.

It would appear that they can be dislodged when taking off a Facemask. This is my concern. I have no intention of putting in a false claim.

I wasn't suggesting that.
I know you weren't suggesting that Brendan.

It just seems poor form that I am not even offered insurance at all. I would consider paying a high price for the All Risks. These are the one item that I have concerns about. My wife has a hearing aid for each ear. It is probably highly unlikely that she would dislodge both at the same time when taking off her Facemask. I would be happy to insure just one of them.

Just wondering if anyone has their hearing aids insured under their All Risks policy and with what company?

My home insurance is with Aviva.

I received a phone call from Aviva after complaining that I could not get insurance on hearing aids under their All Risks policy and was advised to search online for an insurance company to insure them or ask the shop where I bought them for a suggestion.

Pretty poor from Aviva.

Pretty poor from Aviva.
Why? The market is pretty small and the risk is pretty high. their actuaries have worked out that it's not worth being in this market. They don't have to be. It's the same with car insurance, some companies don't want to insure certain age groups by just being uncompetitively priced. It's the same thing.

I received a phone call from Aviva after complaining that I could not get insurance on hearing aids under their All Risks policy and was advised to search online for an insurance company to insure them or ask the shop where I bought them for a suggestion.

Pretty poor from Aviva.

That seems pretty good from Aviva.

First of all you got an active response and just a reject letter.

And she gave you two good suggestions. Had it occurred to you to ask the shop where you bought them?

Brendan

A strange tale to relate regarding hearing aid insurance.

My sister & her husband between them own 3 residential properties; a house each in Dublin and an apartment in a town on the south coast.

The insurers of the Dublin properties have refused to provide cover for the hearing aids on the insurance for either of the Dublin properties. However, Bank of Ireland Insurance Services, RSA the underwriters, has insured the hearing aids for €20 on top of the apartment insurance, the declared value of the devices is €3,000. The odd thing is that the same broker/insurer combination has refused coverage of the devices on one of the Dublin properties. I don't know the insurance details on the other Dublin property.

Back