Average Cost of an attic conversion in South County Dublin

marycanary

I had a look in the key posts and a few people mentioned around the 20k mark price for a conversion in '07 in the Dublin area.Some said they did it for alot less but I got the impression that this was without a compliance cert.
A recent quote for a std conversion (i.e. no ensuite) came to around 25k (inc. the cert ) and I was wondering has the price jumped up recently or is this quote on the high side?It still seems like crazy money for the work involved.Also any recommendations for companies in the south Dublin area would be much appreciated.

Secman, can you pm me the contact names too please? We are currently getting quotes for an attic conversion too. What is compliance cert. and in what circumstances is it needed?

A compliance cert is a certificate signed off by an architect which basically says that the conversion complies to current building regulations and is structurally sound etc.
If you don't have this with your attic conversion, you will potentially have difficulty selling the property at a future date not to mention structural problems in the interm if its a botch job.

Secman, can you please pm me the contact names too, we are thinking of having it done in summer. A friend of mine got hers done recently and there was no mentioning of certificate but i will ask her again.

Has anybody up to date pricing information from recent jobs - most of the dedicated attic contractors all seem to charge in the 20k to 25k range.

I would have guessed 10k-15k for materials (RSJs/Insulation/Windows/Stairs/etc) tops - that leaves 10k for 2 weeks labour, probably 2 guys, so 1k per man per day. Surely that is way over the normal going rate?

2 weeks for 2 guys is 20 days labour which is 500 per day.

My attic conversion took a lot more than 20 days labour. It was 6 years ago and I cant remember the details, but it was a lot more than 2 guys for 2 weeks.

I got [broken link removed] to convert my attic an install an en suite from scratch in existing master bedroom 4 years ago. Including vat, a good few extras and certificate of compliance it cost €29K, the dearest of the 5 who quoted. I went with them as I knew 2 who had used them for their conversions and saw these jobs. I'm very pleased with my job and can see where the money went, the best of materials and equipment, skimped on nothing and first class workmanship. In and out in 12 working days, min 3 men most days up to 6 some days when plumbers, electricians plasterers were in. I've seen cheap conversions, there's no comparison. If you want a good job done properly you will pay for it.

I've no connection with them just a satisfied customer.

Try Attic solutions, 17.5K for a standard 3 bed semi, fully complete with cert etc. Our job was finished two weeks ago and the quality was excellent

Hi ljsd,

Could u pm me details of this company?I've tried google and goldenpages but can't find them.
Much appreciated.
MC

Attic conversions in older houses with traditional cut roofs are easier than modern houses with prefab truss roofs. This will likely have a big bearing on the price I imagine.

I am in North Dublin and got a quotation on Wednesday for 15K ex VAT(13.5%), this is including compliance certificate. I'm not getting an ensuite, it includes, stairs, velux windows, flooring, walls, lighting, gas and electrics, sockets, and some built in storage, to a really good finish, we saw some of their previous conversions.
I thought it was a good price, our house is a little smaller than average 3 bed semi. It will take 2 weeks, and I'm booked in for mid March.

We paid just over 19k for our conversion, no en-suite but we got about 1k worth of additional work done so the base price was just over 18k.

I couldn’t recommend these guys highly enough. They were the most polite and honest builders I have ever met.

I can PM you their contact details if you like.

Just to update: Secman got your recommendation to carry out our attic conversion and various other jobs . We are 100% happy with the job, excellent standard of work, quality materials used, reliable and cleaned up each evening. Thanks for the recommendation.

Did anyone who got their quotes have any structural work done and did it include a suspended floor? We're being quoted 20k for a 3-bed SD 50s house in S. Dublin, it includes suspended roof, velux, power points, radiator etc but stairs is only a stira as we don't have room for a 'real stairs' without full gable and PP was refused for that. We don't want to lose space off bedrooms so opted for this.

Back