AVC's not performing / selecting a fund risk related with IRISH LIFE

Getting a client out of 'bad' (e.g. very active, high fees) funds have expected future value.
Indeed but @Dave K is arguing that "a higher AMC will be worth it if the client gets a much better return".

That doesn't sound like an adviser that is laser focused on getting clients out of expensive funds.

The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions.

Indeed but @Dave K is arguing that "a higher AMC will be worth it if the client gets a much better return".

That doesn't sound like an adviser that is laser focused on getting clients out of expensive funds.

The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions.

This...

At times yes I may recommend a client to switch a fund, maybe de-risk for a period of time etc.

...suggests belief in an ability to time markets, something that has been proven countless times to be a counter-productive exercise in the long-term.

HynesMA

While this is correct, I would recommend look at your options. While yes the AMC may be higher else where, this could be the difference of having someone providing you with more benefical advice. Are you getting the returns you need where you are? You have answered that already in saying your are possibly getting a negative return.
You do not have to make the AVC direct to your company and it may be in your best interest to do that.

While the charge may be higher else where, if you are getting solid advice you could and should expect a much better return even taking your risk rating into account and the higher AMC will be worth it.

My advice would be to speak with a Financial Advisor. It should not cost you anything to that and could be quite significant especially coming towards your retirement.

David

Thanks for that David ……...

An advisor can add value in excess of the differential between the cheap passive option and the active fund. But not on the investment side, more in terms of making the investor ‘stay in the course’ and in terms of navigating the planning side of things.

Back