AVCs and notional service

emefox

I know that there was a thread from about a year ago on the various merits of AVCs Vs the purchase of notional service. My position is that I work in the local authority and am transferring shortly to the civil service and have an AVC with New Ireland. I will be 2 years short of the full service with the civil service where unlike the local authority I will not get the benefit of added years for professional qualifications. Does anyone know whether it is possible to purchase notional service (in this case the 2 years) while at the same time continuing to pay into the AVC scheme ? Noone in the Finance Dept here seems to be able to give me a definate answer.

Yes, you can. All public servants, including those with full service, have scope to pay AVCs. There are other threads you mention which explain the thinking behind this.

I know that there was a thread from about a year ago on the various merits of AVCs Vs the purchase of notional service. My position is that I work in the local authority and am transferring shortly to the civil service and have an AVC with New Ireland. I will be 2 years short of the full service with the civil service where unlike the local authority I will not get the benefit of added years for professional qualifications. Does anyone know whether it is possible to purchase notional service (in this case the 2 years) while at the same time continuing to pay into the AVC scheme ? Noone in the Finance Dept here seems to be able to give me a definate answer.

yes go to www.cspensions.gov.ie they have a quotation system for calculating cost of notional service. make sure your not contributing to both nsp's and avc's above your age limit

and id get shot of that new ireland avc while ure at it as the charges on it a daylight robbery.

unlike the local authority I will not get the benefit of added years for professional qualifications.
Just curious - can you provide more details of the allowance of added years for professional qualifications?

Hi,

I work in the health service and last year had a short break of service without realizing the implications.
Is there anyway I can address this situation?
Will

You should check to see if you can buy back the service you missed using the Notional Service Purchase scheme.

Back