AVC's & Administrators

149oaks

Has anybody out there examined their AVC investments in a Company Pension Scheme in detail? Recently I have been doing this and if the Tribunals are complex I don’t now how to briefly explain this. But let me try quickly and advise everyone out there to get going also as there are €0000’s in this for me and others.
- It simply started with me querying how long to took the Administrators to effect a switch between funds – 5 1/2 months as it turned out and there’s no legislation for this.
- During the wait I requested details of all my AVC contributions from time of salary to Investment it took 6 months to get the initial data. But what a mess exploded then.
- Over 30% of occasions the investment took place outside of the legislated timeframe and there are more serious delays pre the 2003 legislation,
- “Questions” regarding the commissions taken when I compared the file the Administrators sent me vs. Web Prices for the funds,
- After raising these questions the Administrators they then said I should be using the Inv Mgr Notes that they sent and which only added to the questions. Through this data I found the complete switch hadn’t taken place as requested and there were other questions re Ad Hoc payments I had made, Also there is a question re IR£ to € conversion rate along with an instance where the full amount (short a few €) wasn’t invested.
The Trustees weren’t aware of any of this (too close to Administrators and eyes not on the ball) and are currently calling the Administrators to task with a lot of difficulty.
The Administrators have recently written to members “regretting” the delays in investments and purchasing more units to make up for losses (but they’ve even made a mess of this).
Anyway this has a long way to now as Company Annual A/C’s can’t be signed off and an Independent Audit is to be carried out.

So I would advise everyone to start asking questions as the Administrators to the scheme (who are a big name and widely interviewed on the Media) have been found to be incompetent and unprofessional – there are a lot more details to all of this but time and space!!

I've seen all these issues with 2 of the main pension fund consultants and the biggest inv manager.
My advice to anyone with AVCs or in a DC scheme is keep a monthly record of your contributions, price bought at etc and reconcile the value of your fund to the value on the website and annual statement. Treat it like your bank a/c statement. Take time to understand the figures. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Many of the major inv managers ( Ir Life and E Star have for sure ) have a website or phone number where you can check your fund value and contributions.
I rate ability to quickly access fund info very highly when considering what inv manager to use. Information is power.

Your posts above suggest that there have been breaches of the Pensions Acts. 149oaks seems to have acquired a good working knowledge of the legislation (probably had to, in order to understand his benefits) but just in case you're not already aware, the Pensions Board investigates any breaches of the Pensions Acts and is a free service for the employee.

Back