avc

sohq11

hi all, i will be retiring at the end of the year from the public sector and intend doing a lumpsum AVC to maximise tax efficency. I am in receipt of a widowers pension on top of my normal salary, it is of course taxed at in full, at the top rate of tax, my question is ..does this state pension affect how much I can put into the AVC/is there any other way it will affect the tax implications etc. or is the calculation to quantify the amount I can put into the AVC only referring to my working salary
thanks
pete

The AVC will be based on your working salary.

If you want to put more in as an AVC you could look at making an AVC for 2018 and 2019 at the same time presuming that you haven't done 2018 as of yet.

I am in a similar situation in public sector.
I am in 40-49 age group so i can contribute up to 25% of my "relevant net earnings"
Is my public sector take home pay my "relevant net earnings".
My husband and i have rental income. We are jointly assesed.
Is that included in my "relevant net earnings" at 50%?

How is non-taxable income treated. Is that "relevant net earnings"- e.g. rent a room scheme?

Neither investment/rental income nor tax-free income are pensionable. They are not “relevant earnings”.

Can you help me clarify.
My pension estimate calculation which i received from public service gives me a lump sum of 3x20/80ths of Final Salary.
#Final salary is given as 100% salary- however i was working a 4 day week for the past 7 years.

Under Revenue rules, once I have at least 20 years service I get the Revenue max of 120/80ths, ie 150% of Final Salary. Is this 150% of 100% salary (as thats what's used to calculate my pension lump sum)?
Or is it 150% of actual salary received .

If you have 20 years service the scheme may pay you a lump sum of 60/80ths of Final Salary (Your entitlement under the scheme rules). However under Revenue rules you could get 150% of Final Salary.
But normally to bridge the gap you need to have an AVC fund out of which you can add to what the scheme rules will provide.
The scheme will pay your benefits based on scheme salary (as per scheme rules). But Revenue limits can take gross earnings into account (basic salary plus fluctuating earnings).

Is my public sector take home pay my "relevant net earnings".

Not your "take home pay". It is your salary before tax (plus taxable allowances in your job, if applicable).

Edit : Actual salary as earned. If the salary for your position is €50K and you work 4 days instead of 5 then the relevant salary for 25% of earnings would be €40k (ie, €10K).

Under Revenue rules, once I have at least 20 years service I get the Revenue max of 120/80ths, ie 150% of Final Salary. Is this 150% of 100% salary (as thats what's used to calculate my pension lump sum)?
Or is it 150% of actual salary received

150% of "pensionable salary". If you work for 10 years and the salary for the position is €50K your pensionable salary is €50K. If you have been on a 4 day week for this time your pensionable salary is still €50K but you will have only 8 years (approx) of pensionable service instead of 10.

You don't "get" 150% tax free lump sum if you have 20 years of service - but you can use an AVC fund to top up to this amount. The 150% limit is reduced if you take early retirement.

Last edited:
I appreciate the replies.

I saw the below thread from
Askaboutmoney.
It would be fairly unusual for a DB scheme not to allow members to take up to the Revenue maximum lump sum. However, some schemes limit the amount of pension that can be exchanged for a lump sum to something less than Revenue maximum, either by only allowing a strict 3/80ths per year of service or by excluding some elements of remuneration from the lump sum calculation. Having said this, most of these schemes allow members who have paid AVCs to use these AVCs to bridge the gap between the maximum permitted commutation and the Revenue maximum lump sum.

For Revenue maximum purposes, final remuneration can be calculated in one of three ways.
  1. Basic annual salary at date of retirement or leaving service plus the average of fluctuating emoluments over the previous 3 years or longer.
  2. Basic annual salary in any one of the 5 years preceding date of retirement or leaving service plus the average of fluctuating emoluments over a period of 3 years or longer ending on the last day of the year used to determine basic annual salary.
  3. Total emoluments over any period of 3 or more years ending within 10 years of the date of retirement or leaving service.
Total emoluments can include any taxable pay or benefits such as company cars, medical insurance, bonus, overtime, etc. and can also include the value of shares provided under an approved profit sharing scheme and the value of tax free commuter tickets.

Where earnings are calculated over a period not coinciding with the member's date of leaving service or retirement, they can be adjusted in line with inflation over the intervening period.

As you can see from the above, the calculation of final remuneration for the purposes of determining Revenue limits is quite complicated and it's quite possible that the plan administrators may not be prepared to explore all options in order to arrive at the maximum possible figure.

For someone retiring at normal retirement age with 20 or more years service, the maximum permitted lump sum is the greater of (a) 3/80ths of final remuneration for each year of service (subject to a maximum of 40 years) or (b) 1.5 times final remuneration minus any retained lump sum benefits from previous employment or periods of self employment. A sliding scale applies to members with less than 20 years service.

Where a member leaves service before normal retirement age, the maximum lump sum at retirement is scaled back on a pro rata basis (i.e. you calculate the maximum lump sum based on potential service to normal retirement age and then multiply this by the ratio of completed service to potential service). Where benefits are drawn prior to normal retirement age by someone who has completed less than 20 years service with the employer, the sliding scale is also applied if this gives a lower result.

Of course, all of this may be TMI for the OP. If the main purpose of the question was to determine what salary figure would be used to determine his or her basic entitlement under the DB scheme, the answer is that it depends on the rules of the scheme, but is unlikely to include anything other than basic pay and quite likely to include an offset for the State pension. The scheme booklet should clarify the position in this regard and the member is also entitled to access the formal scheme rules on application to the trustees.
From this it appears that if i retire in 2019, i can use 100% salary as my "net relevant earnings" as i was on 100% salary until November 2009.

I appreciate the replies.

I saw the below thread from
Askaboutmoney.

From this it appears that if i retire in 2019, i can use 100% salary as my "net relevant earnings" as i was on 100% salary until November 2009.

I am not sure what you are asking here.
If you are asking what figure your pension is calculated on, then it is calculated on the salary for the post - as if you were working full time. It is irrelevant as to whether or not you were full time until 2009. What is reduced in calculating your pension is your reckonable service. For example, if you had been working half-time for the past 10 years this would equate to 5 years reckonable service.

If, on the other hand, you are asking, what figure your contribution limits towards your pension are based on for tax relief purposes, then it is your current taxable earnings in your job. For example, if the salary for the job is €50K and you are working half-time and getting €25K, then your contribution limits for tax purposes are based on €25K.

Back