AVC Vs Purchase Notional Service

Mula, Do you have a vested interest that we should know about?

i'll send you the bill

Just to make it clear - I do intend to stay for life, 65 anyway. Also if it helps, I am married with one child and one on the way!

regardless of which option you go for you should consider using the avc to fund for your childs education given that you will be retiring about by the time college comes around far better then putting the allowance into the post office etc imho

congrats by the way

Last edited:
It is A yes!

Okay, thanks, I am not going to draw this out any longer - thanks for your help, I am going with the NP!!

i'll send you the bill
Ill take that as a "maybe" you have a vested interest.
regardless of which option you go for you should consider using the avc to fund for your childs education given that you will be retiring about by the time college comes around far better then putting the allowance into the post office etc imho

WexCoCo,
You have to be carefull not to exceed revenue limits if you take mula's advice.

If saving for your children's education is an issue I would suggest that you consider all the options and seek independent, professional, financial advice. Using a product designed for one purpose (funding your retirement) for another (funding children's education) may not be a good idea.

Finally, beware of salespeople trying to sell you one form of "income protection" or "Permanent Heath Insurance" or other. Do a search in the insurance section here if you are considering one of these products.

I think you have done the right thing in buying the added years. Good Luck!

Coordinated.

Ill take that as a "maybe" you have a vested interest.

take it any way you like

Using a product designed for one purpose (funding your retirement) for another (funding children's education) may not be a good idea.

why? if your children are going to college when you retire then why not especially if your gonna go from the high rate to the low rate of tax in retirement not to mention avoiding DIRT/cgt etc. theres no legislation that says you cant fund this way

Mula - You need to check out . This is not an 'optional feature' - this is mandatory.

I agree with Mula on one point - there is nothing wrong with using an AVC product to fund college fees, if everything else falls into place. However, Mula has failed to explain why he/she believes AVCs would be better than Notional Purchase in this case.

well just to throw a spanner in the works, I just received this from my Personnel office this morning. Remeber on my first post I said I heard the rates were going up!

The revised rates will apply in any case where contributions commence on or after 11th December, 2006. It is only purchase agreements already entered into for which contributions have already commenced or commence before that date that will not be affected by the revised rates in the circular.

Unfortunately, because your contributions would not commence until March, 2007, the revised contribution rates will have to be applied to you.

This takes my weekly amount from €77 to €103!!
So what say you now?

Hi WexCoCo,

Im sorry to hear that you appear to have missed the boat in relation to the revised notional purchase rates.

How many years service are you getting for the €103? (Is it 16.2?) Over how many years will you be paying this? Is this a fixed amount or is it a % of your gross wage?

aj

Yes 16.2 will give me the 40 years! It is a % of my gross wage. Maybe I will have to look again at AVC's. The calculation I got from them was about on par (given market performance of course) with the original €77, so I guess it is going to look a whole lot attractive now!! Does anyone now which AVC provider provides the best rates as far as commission charges are concerned, I assume I can use anyone, and not just the one recommended by my HR department “Personal and Corporate”?

Mula - You need to check out . This is not an 'optional feature' - this is mandatory.
read and understood no i have no vested interest
I agree with Mula on one point - there is nothing wrong with using an AVC product to fund college fees, if everything else falls into place. However, Mula has failed to explain why he/she believes AVCs would be better than Notional Purchase in this case.
nsp is paid out at a fixed amount whereas you control how much you draw out from your avc/arf in order to meet college expenses etc

you also leave the option open for early retirement without being hit with a actuarial reduction on your purchased years

should anything happen to you the childrens part of the widow and orphans scheme pays out till there 22 if they go to 3rd level. This leaves only half of your pension available to put your kids through college. Whereas the avc pays out tax free to your spouse should you pop your clogs leaving a nice lumpsum to fund there education

overall i guess its about keeping your options about your retirement open as who knows how you will feel about work in another 10 years

Yes 16.2 will give me the 40 years! It is a % of my gross wage. Maybe I will have to look again at AVC's. The calculation I got from them was about on par (given market performance of course) with the original €77, so I guess it is going to look a whole lot attractive now!! Does anyone now which AVC provider provides the best rates as far as commission charges are concerned, I assume I can use anyone, and not just the one recommended by my HR department “Personal and Corporate”?

make sure you look at the funds available, funds performance, cost of switching etc aswell as commissions.

well just to throw a spanner in the works, I just received this from my Personnel office this morning. Remeber on my first post I said I heard the rates were going up!

The revised rates will apply in any case where contributions commence on or after 11th December, 2006. It is only purchase agreements already entered into for which contributions have already commenced or commence before that date that will not be affected by the revised rates in the circular.

Unfortunately, because your contributions would not commence until March, 2007, the revised contribution rates will have to be applied to you.
]
Just for the record, the planned increase in rates was flagged up on AAM some months back.

Hi Wex even with the new rates I would still strongly encourage you to buy years so long as youre planning to stay in that job.J ust look at Bank of Ireland where they are willing to strike for their defined benefit rather than defined contribution - you're lucky enough to have the choice, given choice most people would go DB.

This excellent post was made by oysterman in the thread mentioned by rainyday above.

...Sat down and cranked out a number of scenarios Whatever way I cut the figures, if I live to any sort of average age at all it's a good deal (even without the huge benefit of the salary-linked spouse's pension).

It is very difficult to judge the public sector notional service scheme against an AVC scheme because there are so many areas of difference. Here are just a few to consider:

1) If you're on an incremental scale, the earlier you start buying notional service by regular contribution the cheaper it is because you pay a fixed %age of salary and will get the benefit of the extra increments and any additional allowances to which you become entitled. This is a significant benefit of notional service over AVC - any significant salary increases late in your career will tend to make an AVC scheme look severely underfunded.

2) Future public service inflation-adjusted pay increases are impossible to predict but if you extrapolate the last 10 years' figures the picture looks bleak for an AVC scheme trying to keep up with notional service.

3) A state guarantee of benefit versus the volatility of equity and money markets aids restful sleep.

4) No commission, bid-offer spreads or hungry salesmen bothering you with the state scheme.

5) AVCs probably win on flexibility i.e. if you take a career break your notional service contract is interrupted and you'd have to take a new one out on resumption of employment at whatever contribution rate and terms and conditions would then apply - this was not something I looked at or factored into the considerations since I never expect to be in a position to take a career break.

6) AVCs do give you a big lump of capital to pass on to the chosen ones if you don't go down the annuity route and your ARF performs well enough in your retirement to avoid significant capital drawdown.

So basically what everyone is saying, even with the extra €30 a week increase I should still go with the NP? Boy do I wish I was born in December - I had agread with HR to sighn up, but they couldn't put me in until my next birthday, March 07!

Definitely buy as much notional service as you can - you are in a very fortunate position to do so. I would not hestiate to buy notional service, whichever way you cut it it makes financial sense. Anyone can do an AVC or PRSA but the perk of state jobs is the pension benefits.

Back