Avantcard - Service Issues ?

Submit formal complaints folks - you may have to post it to Carrickonshannom, given how difficult it can be to get through on the phones, but it's worth causing them a headache, before you feel the urge to leave them.

Card now failing to work on standing instructions.
Existing recurring payments or newly setup ones? Either way sounds like an issue with EU Strong Customer Authentication requirements and exemptions flagging - could be the fault of the merchant rather than Avant.

Getting worse in my experience. Card now failing to work on standing instructions.
Have been onto them this morning over the period of 3.5 hours. They are talking about having to get the 'fraud team' to clear transactions. This is very peculiar behaviour. One member of team said she'd call back in 20 minutes and never heard from her again. Something is fishy here. Not sure if I'd get any satisfaction from customer complaints at this rate.

Yes, it's disappointing alright - I get the feeling that their parent company (BankInter) have better tech than Avantcard, but haven't shared it out, fully.

I noticed that they use Bankinter tech for sending encrypted emails, for example, so perhaps it's on the way... one of these years :(

Just a quick update here.

Having wasted hours on the phone over the last few months, I made a formal complaint - about both the regular declined payment issues, and the near impossible access to a staff member, when needed.

To give the company a little credit, they have upheld my complaint, and have given assurances that they've acted to solve both problems. They also offered a goodwill gesture.

While it's very early days, thankfully, I haven't had a single transaction declined since (and that includes transactions with the same parties, for similar amounts, to those that were previously declined on a regular basis).

If I've further problems of the same nature, I'm not going to waste anymore time with Avant, I'll just move to AIB credit cards and get cashback there instead. Ultimately, I need a service that I can trust, and rely on.

However, in light of their acceptance that the needed to fix things, apology etc, I'm going to give them a final chance, before leaving them.

Anyone trying to access their Avantcard online credit card account the past couple of weeks? I keep getting the same site maintenance message that hasn't been updated in that time and nothing on their main website about it being down.
Tried ringing them this morning but it cuts you off when you try to select the option to get through to an operator.

Absolute mess

They also offered a goodwill gesture.
This is what they do to get you off their back and close down the complaint. Probably about €50.

This is important for their own internal statistics and for governance purposes. The less live complaints they have on their books, the better the optics from a shareholder perspective and regulatory perspective.

This is what they do to get you off their back and close down the complaint. Probably about €50.

This is important for their own internal statistics and for governance purposes. The less live complaints they have on their books, the better the optics from a shareholder perspective and regulatory perspective.

While I know where you are coming from, you aren't quite right - firstly, it wasn't €50, and secondly, it then positions me where I can take the case to the Ombudsman's office, if I wish - those complaints are considered far more serious, with regards to shareholders and regulators.

Once again, I'm having service issues with these guys...

Mrs Earl is abroad, while I'm in Ireland, so I logged details on their website, in advance of her trip - the website isn't smart enough to permit detailed notes, where one card holder is in a different county to the main card holder, but I did try to explain this to to their staff, over the phone, following an online note.

Two days in, the "egits" have now started declining small transactions, and blocked my card, despite good credit. So, I phoned them them up, tonight - initially I'm told its out of hours, so I can't log a complaint and they can't help me, but when I ask them if they are refusing to record a complaint, per the Irish Consumer Protection Code, they manage to then transfer my call to a new staff member - and suddenly, they can re-authorise my card "within 10 mins" (where up to this, it was blocked and had to remain blocked until Monday). They still won't log the complaint, but tell me that I'll get a all from someone tomorrow, regarding my complaint. Amazing!!!

Forget the cashback - these guys cannot be relied upon, to provide a decent service, or decent customer support.

It seems to be the same mentality with yet another British operation here (even if they are ultimately Spanish owned), they pretend to provide customer service, but don't, and then just deal with complaints, when they have to.

Last edited:
This does not make good reading. I was thinking of switching credit card and mortgage to Avant.

Might just go with AIB for both as I'll also get fee free current account, as we need to move our joint account from KBC too.

Do Avant not have Google Pay?
They do not as I have just found out. They also charge 2.50 Euro for topping up revolut so I am thinking of cancelling and moving to AIB. Their website and app are not a patch on Ulster. I just paid the first bill and they pre populate the minimum payment amount with no option to select paying full amount. You have to type this in. The whole app and website is geared towards selling and getting as much as they can from you. Trust pilot reviews while not overly reliable paint a very poor picture of Avant. Was considering moving mortgage but really doubt I will now as I think they would be a nightmare to deal with

Their 12 month interest free transfer offer is excellent though, if you need some short term space. From what they explained, you wouldn't want to be spending on the same account as you did the transfer too, as they'll be charging interest in that scenario.

We wouldn't have a balance to transfer. I was going to go for their reward card.

Think I'll just go to AIB. On the mortgage front, over a 5 year fixed term the interest with Avant would be €1159 less than AIB (green rate) but AIB are offering €2000 to switch to them. Plus the fee free banking is a bonus.

Also a KBC customer looking to jump ship. I want to keep the cash back facility so would AIB be better?

Back