Avantcard Credit Interest Charged TWO months for One Missed Payment

prend

Long story short I always pay off my Credit Card in full. Last month the amount was over the max transferable in one transaction by my bank - so I made the Max payment early in the month and then I paid the balance plus extra (less than €500) to keep the next bill down on Jan 21st ... as it turns out I missed the deadline of January 20th (I mixed up dates) so I have been charged a whopper on interest.
I called Avantcard there and they tell me that, even if I pay the full amount on this coming bill I am still going to be charged interest on my next bill as I must have "2 consecutive months" clear .... has anyone any experience / advice on this please? This is a first for me.

I did ask if there was any way they could waive the interest as the most of the bill had been paid early in the month and it was only a small balance that was ONE day late but he said he could only waive the late payment fee (the lower amount).

Tia

They only charge you interest in the outstanding balance each day. So if you paid 'most of the bill' at the start of the month, you should only have been charged interest on that amount until the date it was paid.

Why don't you set it up to be paid by direct debit, and you'll avoid thus issue in future?

You only get an interest free period if you pay the entire balance by the due date, otherwise they calculate interest from the date of purchase.
I grabbed the below from Bank of Ireland t&c but I've seen similar from other cards.

Purchases: If you repay us everything you owe us on the Accountas shown on a monthly statement by the payment date we specifyin the monthly statement, we will not charge you interest on anypurchases shown in that monthly statement. Otherwise, you forfeitthe interest free period and we will charge interest, on eachpurchase, from the date of the transaction. We calculate interest each day so the earlier you pay us the less interest you will have to pay

Agree with the direct debit suggestion.

Thanks all, I was confused about the charges in the second month but that clarifies it.
I've made a payment now to cover the remainder of whats on the card for this month so that it will be minimal interest .... hopefully!
I will set up the DD to make sure it doesnt happen again .. very annoying!

Back