Aunt needs care but left house to someone in will..

K

kizzy212

HELLO AND THANK YOU FOR TAKING TIME TO READ THIS....

My family are very confused with all the advice they have recieved so far.. (Non professional till next thursday)I'm hoping someone can shed some light.

Great great Aunt & uncle ( brother & sister ) never married no children lived in council house since a very young age with parents.. Several generations born & died and move on from here...including my parents parents.

remaining Uncle died several years ago.. Aunt still alive. she is now a very able 92 year old ...

Property is in aunts name with local council with full goverment benifits... income support, council tax benifit etc etc however aunt has recently fell and broken hip and we now need to put her in care home as she needs 24hr care..

when doing a finanical report for care home, it turns out that aunt owns the property found on land registery.. This came to us as a shock. upon further investigation the family have found out that a family friend paid the discounted rate of only £30,000 cash to local council through them and both my aunt and uncle £5000 between them to buy the house from local council 15 years ago.. (what was they thinking)

We then found out aunt has a new will from pervious one that states exective of will to mother - in -law and the property mentioned above to this couple upon death... all arranged by the couple with local sociltor.

The property is worth £170,000 due to country side area more if modernised.

when questioning our aunt, she said yes they brought the house and its there friends, and she can live in it till she dies... they do the repairs when needed.

Care home & goverment have now added that aunt has saving & property of x amount for care services...

We are saying that she doesnt own home and that someone has brought property....

We cant get through to council or goverment of this arrangement..

where do we stand...!! we are a family that isnt aware of all the goverment tax and death duty so im hoping someone can shed somelight...

This is an Irish website. You are using the £ symbol. If you are based in the UK, it's unlikely that the advice here will be optimum.

Having said that...

Your aunt had a right to buy the house at a discounted rate as a tenant. She bought the house. It doesn't matter where she got the money. The house is hers and not anyone else's. The people who gave her the money may claim that it is a loan and that your Aunt should repay it.

Your aunt's will is not relevant. She can change it and leave the house to someone else to pay for her nursing home costs.

Brendan

while you are fond of your aunt and want to help her, don't be shy about getting the intended beneficiaries of your aunt's will to do more to help. they should be willing to take their share of admin, worry, time, caring for the remainder of your aunt's life.

Isnt this good news? You've just found out that your Aunt has £170k worth of assets i.e. a house. Means that if she has to pay for care, she has plenty of funds to do so - can sell the house.

Back