Audio files and MP3s

ClubMan

CD tracks are stored as digital data. MP3, and other formats such as WMA, ACC, Ogg Vorbis etc., are compressed forms of the original digital tracks. Such compression schemes are lossy (i.e. you lose some of the information stored in the original form) but the trick is that they generally lose information that doesn't significantly affect sound quality. Where sound quality is noticeably affected then a higher sampling rate or a variable bit rate approach to sampling may improve matters. There are loads of tutorials about this stuff on the web but Howstuffworks.com is often a good place to start.

Thanks Clubman. I was partially correct in the knowledge I passed on.

A little technical explanation needed. I was trying to explain MP3s to a friend of mine yesterday and while I understand what they are I don't understand what they came from! When I rip my music cds to my harddrive and they are saved as MP3 files (which are digital?). What are the files/music on the cd - analogue or whatever? A music cd converted to MP3 takes up about 40 – 50 MB of space and therefore you could save 10 or 12 music CDs on a single 700MB CD. Yet a music CD fills a CD. Thanks in anticipation.

Back