Audi v. Passat,UK import

Clairio

Hi, myself and other half thinking of getting a UK import next week.. can't decide between Audi A4 or VW Passat. we do a good bit of milage, usually over 500miles per week and think a diesel car would be the best way to go.
We're going to see privately our Opel Astra, 2002, 75,000miles, hopefully for about 8k. anyone any ideas on which car might suit best? we're hoping to get about a '03 car, either a '03 passat or '02 audi which seem to be about the same money. can't decide!!

Get the Audi for sure. Prices for the likes of BMW and Audi's in ireland seem to be much more expensive than it should be compared to the UK. You'd get a better resale value later when you come to sell on

I have a passat had a loan of an A4

The Audi felt notably smaller.

If buying tdi make sure and find a 130 bhp 6 speed,

Passat sport is fantastic, I love mine.

What about an A6 TDI Compare like with like size wise.

Thanks for the info guys. Probably not going to go for the A6, wouldn't need a car that big. The pendulum is swinging in favour of the Audi I think, A4.

I like the Avant better than the saloon. A 1.9TDi 130bhp Avant would be my weapon of choice

Have driven both and the VW wins out hands down in terms of comfort. Anything over 200 miles and the Audi will have your back & bum feeling like pooh when you arrive!!!

VW much better for comfort and short gear-change, plus driving position and a more forgiving suspension.

Have driven both and the VW wins out hands down in terms of comfort. Anything over 200 miles and the Audi will have your back & bum feeling like pooh when you arrive!!!

VW much better for comfort and short gear-change, plus driving position and a more forgiving suspension.

Thanks Ancutza. having had another look at prices and other factors are considering the Passat, we've seen a '03 VW passat 1.9 S TDI 100 4dr Diesel Saloon for just over stg£5k. only thing is is quite high mileage, 95,000. still and all sounds like a good deal.

The A4 without a doubt, have owned both and the audi build quality is more superior, deared for part though!!!

The hold their value but as a cheaper alternative the Passat would be good.

When it comes to re - sale A4 will win hands down , especially if the passat has high miles !!

Hey Ste, just reading your entry there about your Passat probs!! I checked out the link, there are so many of them on carzone.. however what we may do is sell early next year without having added many miles to it ourselves, even selling for euro14k we'd be making a profit on what we're bringing it over from england for... what kind of car are you getting once you've sold your passat?

I was actually considering an A4 (2002) or Bmw 320d (2001) , well i have to say the passat isn't a let down ,its actually is a really good car and i get 52MPG . The only reason why i'm changing i suppose it's a bit of a hobby buying , driving and selling every couple of months.

Back